Watch your receipts!!!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:28 AM

Default Watch your receipts!!!

Just a word of caution! When you go to the grocery stores that offer $$ off if you use their "special card" (yeah, I know - almost all of them).....be sure to check the receipt and make SURE you're getting your $$ off!! I handed my card to the clerk and I didn't pay attention to whether he was really swiping the card....I thought the groceries were awfully expensive so I checked the receipt when I got to the car. YIP! He did NOT give me a discount! I took the receipt right back in and gave it to the manager. I had a $44.37 savings that I would NOT have gotten had I not paid attention!! I've shopped many times at this store, I know they're for the most part honest. I am trying to believe the clerk just made a mistake. (and no, I will not give the name of the store).

I just wanted to share --- after all -- that was $44.37 I can spend on FABRIC!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Great advice! It always pays to not only watch items as they are scanned, but also to check your receipts for mistakes. The people who are serving you are honest, but human and errors can happen! Glad you got your $ back!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

the one's i hate are that they've totaled your order, you say it doesn't sound right, but they can't fix it. you need to go to customer service for the correction
Old 01-28-2012, 09:56 AM

yep, I usually go over the receipt as soon as I get in the car. I've caught a few errors. Not so much the clerks fault, but the person who enters the specials into the store computer most times. I notice that happens with closeout items a lot. Sometimes I take a picture of the shelf price with my Iphone ;-)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 AM

I always check my receipt before leaving the store, I can't seem to use a coupon with out having a problem.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 AM

I once purchased some plants at a home improvement store and was chatting with the clerk about what a nice day it was and not paying attention. DAYS later I noticed that there was a $99 birdbath as the first item on the receipt. Well I had no way of proving I didn't buy a birdbath, so I never complained, but I always wondered: (1) did the clerk plan it and pocket the $99? or (2) did she do a pricecheck for someone and not clear the register so it was an honest mistake?. I'll never know but I learned the valuable lesson you just spoke of. Always check your receipt!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 AM

My husband went to the store one day and when he came home he told me that the bill seemed high. We checked the receipt and the $4.40 pkg of fish was rung up at $44.00!! Don't know how it happened as they have the scanners, but that was a fast trip back to the store!!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
the one's i hate are that they've totaled your order, you say it doesn't sound right, but they can't fix it. you need to go to customer service for the correction
I feel your pain. I'm a cashier for a gas station/convenience store. The only way to check is to void the whole order & start over. The operating system used is a pain in the ***.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

Oh I always watch. I want to see that total go down!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 AM
mim

One of the 2 major chains in Maine has a policy of -- if the item was rung up wrong-- , they give it to you free as well as a dollar off. I think that in any store about half the time there is an error. We always check the receipt before we leave the parking lot.
Mim