Weight Watchers On Line

Old 03-07-2017, 12:14 PM

Default Weight Watchers On Line

Do any of you do Weight Watchers on line or do you prefer the weekly meetings? I really need to do something and not crazy about going to a weekly meeting. Have a tendency to go home from work and don't want to leave once I get there. Would be nice if running our sewing machines would also run off calories.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:48 PM

Yes I agree!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:24 PM

I just dropped my WW membership--life is too hectic right now in my family and I'm not in frame of mind to tackle this--but WW does work! The way my meeting ran, you joined for a monthly pass and it includes on-line access--recipes, ability to record your points used, etc, ability to look up food points, and a really neat feature, to use your smart phone to scan the bar code on grocery items and it tells you (on most things) the point value so you can compare brands. So really, you get the on-line access in addition to meetings. Meetings for me can be a huge asset if you have an inspiring leader and the group is supportive--nothing like someone cheering on your efforts. Good luck!

P.S. maybe you can find a meeting that would allow you to go to it on your way home from work. I do understand the difficulty getting back out to a meeting! Or maybe a meeting during your work lunchtime?
Old 03-08-2017, 04:15 AM

I joined WW in March 2000 and reached goal in November of that year. I lost 34 pounds and have kept it off. I do not think I would have done it without going to meetings. I needed the accountability of having someone else weigh me each week. And note, you do not need to stay for the meetings, you can just go, weigh, and leave. I have also been told that if you do it online you cannot become a lifetime member. The advantage to becoming lifetime is that you can weigh for free every month as long as you are no more than 2 pounds over your goal weight. I need that accountability and it has helped me keep weight off for 16 years. As a lifetime member, you also get free access to eTools as long as you stay at or under your goal.

Last edited by paoberle; 03-08-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:17 AM

I joined WW Online on January 1st this year. It was not a New Year's Resolution. It was a result of me seeing a picture of myself on December 31st. I immediately said, "It's time. For good." I work full time and really don't have extra time to find a meeting and have no desire to go to one. I have been in a WW meeting group at work years ago. I found that I bought all the snack products they were selling at the meetings and really lost my focus. This time, I am not eating any of the convenience fast food snacks. All my meals and snacks are prepared at home (fruits, veggies,etc.) and I am doing well. I have two long time long distance friends who are doing this with me, along with both my husband and daughter (because I buy the groceries and cook the food - they are somewhat forced!). I gave my User ID and Password to my two friends and they did the same. This keeps us honest and we can peek in to make sure the others are eating right, recording points, weighing in, etc. It's also a great way to share meals and recipes. I want to lose a total of 90 - 100 lbs. Since January 1st, I have lost 23 lbs. I had a conversation with a coworker yesterday (because people are beginning to notice the weight loss) and was surprised at myself when I told her that I had not felt deprived one time. The online tools are a MUST in my opinion. The key to any weight loss plan (also in my opinion) is to plan plan plan. If I have the foods that are best for me to eat available, by taking them with me to work and having them ready at home, I am successful. I am 53 next month and have tried so many diets and changes in habits through the years but have not stuck with them. Even my husband and daughter are now learning what foods are better choices and why. GOOD LUCK whatever you decide.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:34 AM

I also joined WW in January with two friends. We attend weekly meeting and also take advantage of all the online tools. We are all doing good. I don't think I would be nearly as successful doing it online only, but there are a lot of people who are doing that. There is a wonderful community of people online with WW, so if you feel comfortable doing it online only, try it. If you don't feel you are succeeding that way, you can always change to a meeting plan. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:31 AM

If you want to try something online you might want to check out MyFitnessPal and SparkPeople. I have been part of Sparkpeople. I joined MyFitnessPal but have not been active on it yet. Both are free and it might give you a way to judge how helpful and helpful an online service would be. Some people have more trouble not going to meetings but make sure that the one you join is a good one. I joined WW with meetings but they were MOST unhelpful. The meeting was about 5 minutes of telling me the same things I had read in magazines, they did not appreciate questions and the area that was closest to me was in a ritzy area and they made sure to let me know that the town I lived in was 'low class'. It really isn't but it's not as ritzy as that community. They really only wanted to sell the calculators, books, and other products and get out of there as quickly as possible. I was very disappointed. I finally quit going. I have lost some on my own but would really like to have some real support from a real person/people.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

On the plus side - sewing, knitting, crocheting - having one's hands occupied - does slow down the movement of food into the mouth.

I agree that a non-supportive/snotty group is more harmful than helpful.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2017, 03:45 PM

My daughter lost 16 pounds last month using just the WW app on her phone - she can't make it to meetings, so I'd say it works if you do your part.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 AM

For me, I will not do the WW as one can get lots of information online for it. I do eat better food choices than WW.

I used the Whole30 eating plan along with the Mediterranean diet. I lost 15 pounds on my own last fall and have been holding the weight, before I do the plan again. I found that adding the EVOO at each meal was by far the best thing to get the weight moving. It is a way of eating and not a diet because it will make us healthy for all our days.

Wish you good results with your weight loss.