Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food did you hate as a child? >

What food did you hate as a child?

What food did you hate as a child?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

lima beans, i told my son when he was about 2 that if he ate his and mine, when he turned 13 he could fly, so he's 23 now, and hea eats everything, i mean everything, crickets, cow eyes, you name it, he went to culinary school too, i think he's still mad about the fluying thing though.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Peas - I love them now but they made me truly gag when I was little. I remember one day my father asked my mother why she made me eat them if they made me gag, and mom said I
was pretending - but I wasn't.

Raw tomatoes - they smell horrible - to this day can only eat tomatoes from a jar or can.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM

I used to get that from my mother, too! I would gag on green beans and she would accuse me of faking it. I have no idea how you can fake gagging and retching. My eyes would water, too.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:41 PM

Okra and eggplant! Couldn't stand them as a child and can't eat them now! YUCK!!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Well here goes...we only had meat on Sunday, which usually was chicken. and in the winter time we had pork, after parents butchered the hog...Didn't know what pizza, spaghetti, or seafood was, or grilled steak. till I got married...still don't like pizza, spaghetti, macaroni and cheese and allergic to all shell fish....my mom canned everything out of the garden, and we ate it all..Love the peas, corn, squash, eggplant, turnips, all greens, don't like cooked spinach, never have tasted it...but love it raw..Got married, he wanted rice and gravy...I said "HUH??" we had rice, but with butter and sugar...never with gravy...guess being raised in the country was pretty good...love sweet potatoes , fried okra..pinto beans and cornbread...and buttermilk too..love liver and onions...fresh tomatoes...watermelon, canteloupe...don't like honeydew..guess that's enough for right now...
Old 06-25-2012, 06:41 PM

Baked beans and I STILL hate them!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
Liver and onions- and still hate it LOL
Ditto -- still hate it.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM

There are so many foods I do not care for, but as a child my mother would make a pecan pie and every one would rave about it. I would not touch it. Then when I was in my 30's and in a situation I had to taste it, and it was a realization of what I had missed all those years. Luckily my parents didn't make you eat something you did not want. You had to taste it but that was all. I credit my sister for my love of brussel sprouts. My mom asked if I wanted any, when I said no thank you, my middle sister said, "Good that makes more for the rest of us!" There was no way she was going to get my share, so I ate them and have loved them ever since.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 06-25-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 AM

wow, so many dislikes. My parents made us taste things but we didn't have to eat anything if we at least gave it an honest try. I used to dislike mushrooms but now, I have yet to try a kind I don't like. I guess organ meats are my dislike though I do like liver. I think this dislike is because my mom disliked it, would never ever cook anything but liver so I never tasted it. I really think it's more a "head" thing...I would taste it but can't get it past my eyes into my mouth. In her favor, my mom never used canned anything so we were raised on fresh veggies.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM

I guess I hated eating fish - seemed to me the fish eaten in the 40's and 50's was just 'too boney'. Now I love fish but must admit eating only the fish my husband catches. I love cod especially.