Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When purging no longer wanted or used sewing items. >

When purging no longer wanted or used sewing items.

When purging no longer wanted or used sewing items.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Default When purging no longer wanted or used sewing items.

Do you sell them or give them away? I always donate my unwanted or unused stuff. It's so much easier to box it up and take it to the local Salvation Army then going through the hassle of selling. I had one yard sale and that was one too many. Many times I see someone at guild showing off their thrift store find and it was something I donated. LOL I think to myself it's great the SA got the benefit then me just giving it free to guild members who can afford to buy it anyway. If scraps of fabric I donate that to guild members, many love scraps.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:13 PM

It's so much easier to donate. Sitting in my driveway all day for 2 days is more than I can bear! Plus, at tag sales everyone wants it for peanuts, but they don't hassle with thrift shops. So let the thrift shops benefit from your kindness. That's a win-win in my book!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:32 PM

I have felt the same way for years. Yes, I know all abut "ebay accounts", etc. etc....I have always given things away to anyone in the family who wanted them first...then Good Will....Years ago...my family gave things to me to start out...I want to believe I can help someone else...
Old 12-29-2016, 03:44 PM

It would depend on what it is. I dont' really do the purging thing because every time I get rid of stuff, I find a way I could have used it myself. If I was getting rid of machines or something with some value, I would definitely use eBay. If it was routine small stuff, it wouldn't be worth it.

I sold tons of collectibles for my mom on eBay. It's a great resource for specialty items, buying or selling
Old 12-29-2016, 03:50 PM

Don' t forget a small box of scraps or ft qtrs to our quilters sewing charity quilts for children, hospitals, homeless, runaways, chemo patients and disabled veterans.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I offer it to my friends first before donating. Most of us have little flex with spending money on our hobby so we share especially if we know it is something they need for a project or would like.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:44 PM

I am one more to donate than try to sell it. I do like to share, so if my friends need something that I happen to have, and visa versa we share back and forth if possible. And I watch here to see if someone may need what I have and not likely to use.

20+ years ago we had a couple of yard sales and they were okay - but I wouldn't consider it now. We did sell a desk and dresser on Craig's List. But that was because I didn't want to set them out on the curb and no local thrift store was willing to pick them up. It was a bit unnerving since you have no idea who is coming.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:48 PM

I would first offer to sewing/quilting folks I know and after that would simply donate sewing items. Machines and larger household things, I would probably try Craigslist first and then freecycle and/or donate.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:41 AM

I have two friends that belong to a quilt guild. They meet once a month, and for the past 3 months I have purged a bunch load of stuff. The items usually are gone in the first 10 minutes, what is left over (minimal) is taken by a lady who goes to Lancaster and gives the remainders to an Amish lady. I don't hesitate to toss something in a bag or box, as I know someone will benefit from the 'gifting'. I do have two older sewing machines that will grace a table at our family rummage sale this summer though.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:24 AM
Administrator

most of the time i donate rather than trying to sell.
it's faster and less stressful.
anything crafty goes to friends who can either use it themselves or take it to the local guild's freebie table.
otherwise, it usually goes to goodwill.

since goodwill doesn't seem to fix things anymore, if it's something that doesn't work, but could be fixed i put it out by the side of the road for the "dumpster divers." the same goes for furniture. our goodwill won't pick up anymore and i don't have a truck. most of what i put out there is gone within an hour.

there are also a few yard-sale and freebie facebook groups in our area. i have passed several things on that way, too.