When Queens Ride By

Old 12-06-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by janettat View Post
Thank you for the sweet story.
I think it is meant as a lesson, not just a sweet story.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:17 PM

Onebyone, Thanks for posting this story.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
What she is saying is that married women/mothers can't "Have it all". If we want to do justice to being a wife/mother we must tend to our homes/children, and not work outside or away from the home. She feels that men really want a woman who takes care of their home and family. ALSO they are BETTER OFF if they stay home, not just for the husbands, but that they (the wife)will be happier and more fulfilled. I agree, but I am sure many nowadays do not. It's a good but old fashioned idea. The stranger also indicates that the family will prosper if the wife is home and the husband works.
Huh, I took it as people should slow down and enjoy life, appreciate beauty, work at being content with what you have, and take time to offer kindness and warmth, and things will feel better. I get that the story had a gender message, but the bottom line to me seems true for everyone. There needs to be balance, not just all work before everything else and at the expense of everyone else.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:31 AM

willferg

It's a story so open to interpretation, and we see it somewhat differently. We'll probably never know for sure what the author meant...unless she wrote other pieces with a recurring theme.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I liked the story.

I am old(er) - and the older I get, the more I realize that cleanliness and order (and food) are good for people's souls.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I took it as home should be made a safe place, a haven, a welcoming and nurturing environment for the family when there is chaos, burdens, pressures, or fear to contend with. Many women work or have a career, but never dismiss the importance of a homemaker.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Making a house a home - I think is undervalued now.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:16 PM

One,

I agree with you, but for a woman to work full time, and take care of a home and children she has to be very very organized and have a lot of energy...and having a mother nearby who can help in emergencies and on snow days doesn't hurt. And she can't have much in the way of hobbies of her own....and exercise....????? It's a tough life.....IMHO.

The young woman in the story thought she HAD to work at farming, but the older lady made her reconsider, and showed her that she DID have a choice....a choice that her husband seemed to appreciate, too.

BTW, I am not against women farming, I do plenty of farm work around here, because raising animals is my hobby and I have plenty of time to keep the house orderly (our children are grown) It was just an example of the woman putting her focus on something besides her home and family. Either way, I admire they young woman....she was trying very hard to help the family......even though her efforts were failing....apparently.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I took it as home should be made a safe place, a haven, a welcoming and nurturing environment for the family when there is chaos, burdens, pressures, or fear to contend with. Many women work or have a career, but never dismiss the importance of a homemaker.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:18 PM

I agree....it seems so "Old fashioned"....but so important.

[QUOTE=bearisgray; "Making a house a home - I think is undervalued now."