Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual >

Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual

Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 PM

The very first time I had the flu shot it seemed that I was sick more often than not. But with my MS, all my doctors stress the importance of getting the shot every year. MS is an auto-immune disease and the treatment lowers my immune system. With that being said, I was sick the week before thanksgiving and my primary yelled at me because I did not go to him at the first sign. He stated that I had a bacteria infection and it was going around like a wildfire. My systems resembled flu like systems except for the cough that I had.

Anyways, the last three years I have had the flu shot and have not been sick except for the time mentioned above.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:04 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Well, I went to the Dr.'s today and he said that this year the upper respritory infections seem harded to get rid of. He gave me a prednizone shot, a different cough med and a different antibiotic that he said they were having good results with and told me to keep taking the Mucinex DM(love this stuff). Today I feel HUMAN again!!! Yeay Sure hope I am finally on the road to kicking this. Hope everyone gets better soon.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

My husband got a flu shot once decades ago and it was the only year he got sick with the flu! Right after, and really bad. So he refuses to get a flu shot and hasn't had the flu since. His metabolism is different than most people, though. For example, he is allergic to sulfa drugs.

I have never gotten flu shots and have had the flu only twice in the last 40 years or so. I think I don't have as much exposure to the flu as most people, though -- no little kids in the house, don't work in a place where sick people congregate, etc.