Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual >

Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual

Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual

Old 01-05-2012, 02:53 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by Traditional View Post
I am so glad this subject came up I am a week into my third sinus infection started in Sept. for a month with non stop coughing. OK for 2-3 wks.sick again, same thing as before no energy after medication and about a month back to normal. Last Sat. I started again I am not sure what is going on if it's all this rain we have had this fall or if this is the new me. I am coughing till I vomit so miserable. I guess I feel better to find out I am not the only one with this problem. Hope we all get back to normal soon.
This is the same with me. Glad to know I am not the only one......as we all know misery loves company... I went to the dr. today and he gave me a shot, new cough medicine and an antibiotic. I feel almost human again for the first time in weeks. He also told me to continue with the MucinexDM along with the cough med. he gave me. That shot definately helped ALOT.....He said this year the crud that is going around is particularly hard to get rid of for some reason.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

i've been getting my flu shot every year since 1982---and no-i've not been sick- in fact was thinking this morning (my hubby actually got his this year-stating it always make him horribly sick) that we have not gone through the normal (colds, allergies) other problems which have seemed kind of 'season normal' this year---knock on wood of course! i am very happy that he seems to be much (healthier) this year than in years past.
when you have (severe) reactions after the shot you should call your doctor- there may be a reason for it- and they need to know when people have reactions- i hope you all get feeling better soon-
Old 01-05-2012, 03:54 PM

My husband and I always get the flu shot and no reaction. The problem most people are reporting is sinus infection with this non stop coughing. I wonder if it's weather related we need cold temperatures to kill these germs. I hope we all get well soon.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:34 PM

I wouldn't get a vaccine of any kind. They do more damage than getting the flu. Please educate yourselves by going to the National Vaccine Information Center website. Also, Mercola.com has a great article about the flu vaccine for this year. Please remember, that Mercola has products to sell, but, his information is very detailed and has documentation. Please read about Gardisil before you let your kids have it. It is dangerous. If you doctor is pushing vaccines on you, stop and ask yourself why. Is he getting a kickback from big pharma ? Please don''t believe anything that the CDC (Center for Disease Control) has to say. Wash hands, don't share glasses or utensils, eat right, sleep right and you won't need a shot full of chemicals.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

I don't ever get the shot, and I don't get sick. I know lots of folks who do get the shot, then get sick. No thanks~~
Old 01-05-2012, 05:06 PM

I have gotten the flu shot every year since I was a senior in high school. When I was a junior I came down with the flu over Christmas and then relapsed a few weeks later during finals :-(. Not a fun experience. Since I have asthma, I don't take chances. The only year I've gotten the flu was a few years ago when H1N1 first made its rounds. I caught it about 2 weeks before the vaccine became available in my area. I've never gotten sick from a flu shot.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:15 PM

I got the flu shot in oct so far i've been fine.. I get the flu shot every year... No problems....
Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 PM

I work in a hospital and we are required to get them every year. I've been OK, so far this year. One thing that a friend told me is never touch your face. She never gets sick, so it seems to work for her. Me, I can't keep my hands away, but I do wash my hands a lot. Keep a lot of lotion on hand, too. LOL.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:58 PM

[h=1]Types of Influenza Viruses[/h]There are three types of influenza viruses: A, B and C. Human influenza A and B viruses cause seasonal epidemics of disease almost every winter in the United States. The emergence of a new and very different influenza virus to infect people can cause an influenza pandemic. Influenza type C infections cause a mild respiratory illness and are not thought to cause epidemics.
Influenza A viruses are divided into subtypes based on two proteins on the surface of the virus: the hemagglutinin (H) and the neuraminidase (N). There are 16 different hemagglutinin subtypes and 9 different neuraminidase subtypes. Influenza A viruses can be further broken down into different strains. Current subtypes of influenza A viruses found in people are influenza A (H1N1) and influenza A (H3N2) viruses. In the spring of 2009, a new influenza A (H1N1) virus (CDC 2009 H1N1 Flu website) emerged to cause illness in people. This virus was very different from regular human influenza A (H1N1) viruses and the new virus caused the first influenza pandemic in more than 40 years. That virus (often called “2009 H1N1”) has now mostly replaced the H1N1 virus that was previously circulating in humans.
Influenza B viruses are not divided into subtypes, but can be further broken down into different strains

This is a pretty easy to understand paragraph from the Center for Disease Control that makes it easy to understand why you can get still get flu symptoms after having the shot. The shot only covers the strains of flu that are most likely to cause epidemics, not the mild seasonal flu strains. Those we are expected to deal with.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM

I do not get a flu shot, saving it for someone who really needs it.