Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual >

Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual

Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual

Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 AM

I've gotten the shot every year for the last 25 years. This one gave me flu symptoms and I was queasy for several days. This reaction has only occurred one other time in the past years. It wasn't much fun, but I'm sure it will be worth the uncomfortable few days instead of a full blown case of the flu.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 AM

I got my flu shot with DH in Sept and we are fine. Have been getting the shots for a long time since I had Type A flu in 1994 which I thought I would die from. Never been so sick in my life. We have never had the flu since the shots. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ljs317 View Post
Hi
My mom got the shot this year as always and became really sick. her doctor said that there was a storage problem with some of the vaccines and this caused some people to get really sick and a few have died because of it.
Would this mean that the storage problem brought the dead virus back to life or created some noxious toxin from the chemicals, perhaps from the solution the dead virus were contained in, that were injected? I don't see how dead virus can be brought back to life, but I can certainly see how nonproperly stored vacines could be ruined. You would think that these would have been recalled before they were used.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM

It is hard to determine this, as many people call all sorts of things "the flu" Several years ago, I did not get the shot, but did get what my doctor called the flu. I have never been so sick. Feeling good in the morning and by late afternoon was flat in bed, with 104+ fever, muscle aches galore, headache so bad that I just wanted to be left alone and keep my eyes shut.
It took almost a week, before I was feeling better. I had no stomach or intestinal symptoms. I have never missed a flu shot since, and have never gotten the flu from the shot.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 AM

I did not get the flu shot. My DH did. He became sick-- fevering, sinus drainage, cough-- mid November. he has had two rounds of antibiotics. I had one round in between his , and we both still have the sinus drainage and cough.
Can't get over it for any length of time.
The weather has been so warm this year, no germs are dead yet. We haven't had enough cold to freeze them out. I have my theories. But with or without the flu shot isn't making a whole lot of difference in our house.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 PM

My husband had his shot a few weeks ago. And was ill over the holidays for the first time in about 5 yrs.
Me on the other hand, I get sinus infections, chest colds.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

I boil vinegar and breath it, it seems to stop all sinus problems for me. My grandmother would boil vinegar and take the pot all over the house to kill any sick germs in the air about three times a week during the winter when the house stayed shut up from the outside air. She use to say she didn't like breathing other people's expelled germs. The smell goes way in a few minutes. I use white distilled vinegar. It's natural and no chemicals.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:14 PM

I always get the flu shot and haven't had any issues. Most people who get the flu (after the shot) especially right after, were already exposed (there is about a one week incubation after exposure). I've noticed that since I've been getting my yearly flu shot, any colds also seem milder.

I have worse problems with my allergies, especially since moving last year.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:29 PM
BMP

Mandatory ......actually making that mandatory is against the law. My Dh works in a hospital and they tried that with the employees. After a little investigation by a few who disagreed, it was found out that you can not be made to get the flu shot !!!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Hi Everyone. I work in a surgeon's office and get a flu shot annually with little or no reaction. Not so this year. I had hotflashes and chills with no fever. Horrible headache and painful body ache, and exhaustion. This went on for 3 full weeks. The office nurse had the shot (from a different vaccine lot) about a week later. Mirror image of how I felt. She took the time to compare the vaccine "stats" from 2010 to 2011, and there was documentation of higher side effects. We had a recent conversation about if we knew how poorly we felt, we would have taken our chances and not had the shot. Ten minutes later we revisited the conversation and finally concluded that if we felt this poorly after the vaccine, cannot imagine how horrible a person would feel with the full-blown flu strain this year. Incidently, my husband had the shot, with no problems whatsoever.