Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
why don't sick people stay home???? >

why don't sick people stay home????

why don't sick people stay home????

Old 01-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Littlehud, I would want to report that boss to HR. that is just wrong!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
actually they have said repeatedly that the masks do not help prevent colds and flu...
we carry hand sanitizer in the car and ALWAYS use it after getting back in the car......

some walmarts (and others) have wipes for the buggy handles etc
I guess now that the news people have gone on to something else all those practices will fall by the wayside...
I use the sanitizer all the time, we have been sick since Christmas with the stomach thing and the sinus cold. Can't get rid of it....don't know where we got it but sometimes I just think its in the air and you just can't escape it. Stayed home for 10 days and went out one day, came right back...go figure
Old 01-24-2010, 07:27 PM

I wish I could tell people that-LOL--I work in a dr's office so I don't think I can do that.
What I can (and have) told people is to please cover your mouth when coughing. I can't believe the adults who look right at you and cough in your face--eewwww. I guess they think drs and nurses aren't susceptible to germs.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:44 PM

I am sorry that you are not feeling well. But I can understand why people go out when they are sick. Or like others go out and not know they are ill. I once got pink eye from a great nephew and all I did was wash the dishes and table after everyone was finished eating. Learned my lesson. DOn't let kids touch my face or forget the sanitizer. Hope you feel better soon. :D
Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM

I have been fighting a cold and sinus infection for 2 months now. I work full time but where I work. I am only allowed 3 sick days a year. A Dr's note is no excuse. If I miss any more days then that, I'm fired. I have to be on deaths door before I call in. I do earn sick leave every month but not allowed to use it unless I'm on an LOA. Right now I have 192 hours of sick leave. If I do get fired or quit they do not pay any unused sick leave. Either way they win. You can earn the sick leave but they do everything in their power to keep you from using it.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

I have Systemic Lupus and take immune suppressants, so I know how you feel. But I also understand how difficult it can be for people to stay home if they have employment or don't have anyone to run errands.

When I was working, I would never take time off....I was in a management position and was just not possible. If I did have the odd day off the phone would ring constantly....so there was no point.

Anyway, a mask and hand sanitiser may be the best way to go. My son had Swine Flu last year and miraculously I didn't get a sniffle...lots of disinfectant and confining him to bed must have helped.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
I am sorry that you are sick!!!

I have family and friends who have immunity issues too...
We have found that as hard as we try to protect them, people can be contagous before symptoms appear.

After Christmas I had 3 of my grands staying with me...yep, one came down sick and had probably spread his little germs around GreatGrama who has immunity issues... the incubation periods can be days or a week before symptoms appear...and he had been around her 3 days before he showed the first symptom.

I guess the only way to be totally safe is to wear a mask out in public and have your company wear them while visiting... and be very careful about what you touch out in public, and practice good handwashing habits.
I agree with everything Amma has said here.
I am immune-compromised and all it takes is for a 'healthy' person to touch and transfer germs, and then I touch them.
You have to either put your hands near an orifice or inhale airborn allergens to get sick, so i wash, wash, wash my hands a lot.
I use wipes and hand sanitizers religiously when out and if I've been around someone, and THEN find out.
If I get sick, I sleep in another room to protect hubby and we use masks sometimes, and I spray things down and do dishes with vinegar or bleach.
vinegar kills my suds.
I don't know why somebody said that masks do not help?
Doctors and nurses wear them. I don't get that at all, unless they are referring to the type we purchase over the counter.
Why do a lot of doctor's offices have signs to get one and use it, if you are sick?
If it's not 100% guarantee with a mask, and not much is,...it has to make a big difference.
I have them, and I use them.
I am with you, though. If I get sick? I STAY HOME!
Unless it's something I have to do and nobody can do it for me, I stay home, and appreciate those that do.
I tell my kids if I am sick and insist they tell me.
Don't let me come to your house and get 'goodies' to take back home to your daddy!
Neither of us need to catch things. Great thread :thumbup:
P.S. I hope you get better soon. chicken soup thoughts for you :-D
Old 01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN
I wish I could tell people that-LOL--I work in a dr's office so I don't think I can do that.
What I can (and have) told people is to please cover your mouth when coughing. I can't believe the adults who look right at you and cough in your face--eewwww. I guess they think drs and nurses aren't susceptible to germs.
:shock:
I would be sooo tempted to say, "THANKS!" :evil:
Old 01-25-2010, 12:51 PM

I am sorry you are afflicted by your illnesses and feel lousy but I must say not everyone has the luxury of being able to stay home when sick. As previously stated some people can not afford to take sick time or they don't have it and fear loosing their job in this economy. Another reason someone may be out at Home Depot is perhaps something with their plumbing or heating went bad and they had to get something to fix it. Not everyone who goes out sick is "some stupid sick person".
And before it is assumed that I am one of the ones who has no time off, I happen to have a very good career that enables me to have all of the time I need (in fact I had 6 weeks off unexpectedly in July at full pay). I just happen to try and put myself in other people's shoes and not always assume the worst in everyone or that people are "stupid".
Hope you feel better soon.
Hugs
April
Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM

My daughter was fired from a certain fast food chain because she called in sick. she said she didn't want to sneeze over people's food and they told her not to bother coming back.