Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do You Use Netflix?

Banned
    We just recenty signed up for Netflix for 9.00 per month because there is never anything on TV to watch except for reruns. I was wondering about watching them intsantly on your computer if it uses up your Ram (memory) or harms your computer?

We have had Netflix for years and use the instant movies all the time. If you have high speed internet, you should be ok. If you have a security program, you won't be at any more risk than when you surf the net. We also go to all the major networks ABC, CBS, NBC and watch archived shows and there is also Hulu. Enjoy.

Banned
    We've had Netflix for a long time now and never once had a problem. My son watches the instant movies all the time and he too has never had a problem. Enjoy it!

Banned
    Thanks! Think I'll go watch a movie. :-)

Do you suppose there are any involving quilts or quilters? :lol:
    Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    I use Netflix and love it! I have the 3 at a time plan and I did watch a movie once on the computer. Can't remember if it took long to download tho. I don't watch on the computer as the Desktop is in the laundry room and don't feel like being in there for 2 hours and the laptop doesn't have speakers. Plus I can relax in the living room, up the volume and sew till the movie is over... :-)

I'm tempted to try netflix. Tell us if you like it.

Blog Entries
    I've been using Netflix for several years. It's very convenient. I don't really care for the picture quality in the streaming video. I prefer to get the discs. I've only had a few bad discs over the years. No big deal, you mark it as a bad disc on the website, and send it back. They will send a substitute of the same disc if you want. Delivery is quick. If I mail one back on Monday, I've usually got the next one on Wednesday, unless it's shipped from a different location than the closest one.

No, I don't watch enough movies to make Netflix worth my while. Besides, I can get them for free from my library, though I have to wait for the newer, more popular ones. I'm #68 in line for Slumdog Millionaire.

I do watch both movies and TV shows online (for free), but it's much nicer to watch them on my TV. Also, for some reason the DVD player built into my TV works without overheating, while every computer DVD drive I've had has overheated after so many hours of play.

Yep, the 3 at a time plan. We live in the country in the boonies and get no local channels. Tv and the movies is pretty much our only form of entertainment.

Blog Entries
    We have Netflix and love it.

Does anyone know if you can download their movies onto your computer DVD, burn the DVD, and take it to the TV and watch it?

Or when streaming, have you plugged your computer up to the TV and watched it on the TV?

I've read I can do this with the new TV, but haven't tried it yet. I've been thinking bout the Netflix option also, as the cost is so reasonable.

I have DSL. Have any of you used it for watching movies or downloading them? How was it? Too slow?

What type of movies do they have online? Very old ones or newer more popular ones?

Thanks for whatever ingo you can provide. This is a great topic and timely for me!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We watch instant view movies all the time. No problems to report. I don't have a TV near my sewing machine so I often do Netflix things while I sew. We love our Netflix!

We have DSL. No download wait. No jerky movies. Our computer montior is pretty nice so the picture is good.

Somehow (I have no clue how) you can send Netflix directly to certain TV's. As far as I know, you can't actually save them to a computer and burn the disc. That is probably due to piracy laws.

The selection is excellent. Brand new movies to super old movies and many many television shows.

Blog Entries
    I have dial/up/network and can't watch instantly but watch at least 2/week thru the mail...fast delivery.

i use netflix and love it. i have it hooked up to the tv through my xbox 360 (or my sons xbox) so we watch instantly there is sometimes a lag it has to refigure the picture quality but only a minor interruption. If you have high speed internet you can hook it to the tv and watch it there sometimes the instant watch movies are old and not up to date which is aggravating but we usually find something to watch

have you seen how to make and american quilt? just watched it it was soooo good

We watch all the instant Netflix movies on our TV. Hubby connects the laptop to the TV and away we go (and we have DSL with wireless).

We have had Netflix for a year. Our son in law purchased a little box for us that the movies will download on and then you can watch them on your television whenever you want. They will stay on the box until you delete them. It is called ROKU. I believe he said it cost about $99.00. It is great for my husband as his eyes aren't good enough to watch them on the computer. We also receive the discs in the mail. If you have a Netflix plan the ROKU downloaded films are free.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop
    We have had Netflix for a year. Our son in law purchased a little box for us that the movies will download on and then you can watch them on your television whenever you want. They will stay on the box until you delete them. It is called ROKU. I believe he said it cost about $99.00. It is great for my husband as his eyes aren't good enough to watch them on the computer. We also receive the discs in the mail. If you have a Netflix plan the ROKU downloaded films are free.
    I was looking at that last night and wondered if anyone has one and what they thought about it. Then I saw the netflix ready devices has the Wii (coming soon) so I put in a request for the disc. I'm going to try out this option first, since I have a Wii already, and see how well it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by dgmoby
    1.Does anyone know if you can download their movies onto your computer DVD, burn the DVD, and take it to the TV and watch it?

2.Or when streaming, have you plugged your computer up to the TV and watched it on the TV?

I've read I can do this with the new TV, but haven't tried it yet. I've been thinking bout the Netflix option also, as the cost is so reasonable.

3. I have DSL. Have any of you used it for watching movies or downloading them? How was it? Too slow?

4. What type of movies do they have online? Very old ones or newer more popular ones?

Thanks for whatever ingo you can provide. This is a great topic and timely for me!
    I checked with the expert (DH) about your questions.

1. He said that there are programs out there that would allow you to burn to DVD, but it is illegal to copy them to the best of his knowledge.
    2. It depends on the computer and the type of video card (if it is a desktop). If it is a laptop and has a monitor output on it (a roughly square port with 15 tiny little holes in it, most of them other than the very inexpensive ones do) then yes, with the proper connector cord. You have to use the Fn (function key on the keyboard, on mine it is F4) to set it up, you should refer to your owners manual.
    3. Depends on the speed of your connection. We live in a rural area and ours is the slowest speed DSL available. We have had absolutely no problem with Netflix, now the programs from TV sometimes jerk once in a while, but overall is totally acceptable.
    4. Netflix on demand movies aren't the newest, but they have a large number available, including popular ones. Go online and browse to see what they have. They also have season sets of TV shows. Always something fun to watch. They are updated regularly. The newer ones you can get in the mail.

Hope this all helps. My hubby is the techno guru, but we watch streamed video on the TV all the time. There is just not a lot on TV worth watching lately. We only have an antenna so are limited to 6 stations anyway.

Right now, we don't watch enough tv to make it worth while. My co-worker uses it and loves it. My understanding about the instant streaming is, you need to have either a box from them, or a compatible blu-ray. I know Samsung is one that is compatible...we bought that brand with the thinking that if we did decide to get Netflix at some point, we wouldn't have to buy another machine.

I have been thinking about this for a while, but DH is reluctant.
    I never watch tv and he gets bored. thought it would be good for him, and we could have a movie night. Maybe I would stay awake if he watched with me.
    Nobody said much, except the comment about the "How to make an American Quilt",....thanks :thumbup: for that.
    I would love to be able to get quilting dvd's.
    If they had those, they would have me hooked like a fish!:XD:

Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    I have been thinking about this for a while, but DH is reluctant.
    I never watch tv and he gets bored. thought it would be good for him, and we could have a movie night. Maybe I would stay awake if he watched with me.
    Nobody said much, except the comment about the "How to make an American Quilt",....thanks :thumbup: for that.
    I would love to be able to get quilting dvd's.
    If they had those, they would have me hooked like a fish!:XD:
    I know what you mean! But since don't have that, I have memberships to The Quilt Show with Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson, and Quilters Club of America. QCA gives me access to Quilt Out Loud, Fons & Porter on Demand, Do You EQ and many other instructional programs and videos. I can learn about quilting and new techniques, while I AM quilting. ;-)

I have used Netflix for years. I love it. There are too many reality shows on TV. I like British mysteries and series. We also like American Experience shows, learn about history the easy way. Some nights we only watch Netflix because TV/Cable is so bad.
    Claudia Paula

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Do you suppose there are any involving quilts or quilters? :lol:
    Enjoy!
    Yes as a matter of fact I did see some about quilting. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast