Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
new on sewing need advice on machine >

new on sewing need advice on machine

new on sewing need advice on machine

Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

I would recommend visiting local dealers & trying out different machines- then when you find something you like you could always turn to amazon or an on-line source and look to purchase- at least then you would know what to expect in the machine. personally I don't recommend on-line purchases for machines- it is always nice to have local support/service. but many people do buy them on-line successfully so, just me. for a reasonable 'beginner' machine a Brother from Walmart would probably be just fine to get you going for a couple years- then as you progress you could look at upgrading. all of my kids, grandkids, nieces/nephews learned to sew on a Walmart Brother machine ($139) and love the machines. I still have one that is 8 years old we pull out when one of them visit & want to sew- or I need a backup.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:07 AM

I'm just learning the many different features beyond a basic, cheap, newer Brother.
That was an easy machine to get started, no frustrations to discourage.
Someone recommended an article by Katie dicey (sorry I don't have the link) on buying a sewing machine. It's on her site and very good tips.

The newer less costly, portable plastic machines are very light weight.
I recently found a newer Brother at the thrift store for $6.
We've had decent luck with used machines.
Last week I picked up an old Dressmaker s3000 for $15. It is very heavy metal, but a great machine. At that price and complete with manual, I wasn't afraid to take the chance of buying and trying it. It has embroidery selections and the lowering feed dogs, features that not all machines have. It has a side threading needle that isn't as easy for me to thread. With the manual, a little maintenance knowledge ( cleaned and oiled) and patience, we got that machine stitching nicely.

We have an older, also very heavy metal White here that hubby repaired for his mom. It sews great, has a very easy front threading needle, lowering feed and a free arm, more features to consider. If I ever find that machine at a good price, I'd buy it.

Good luck on finding your sewing machine!

I have no ideas on new machines, there seems to be so many models/features and price ranges!!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Try this book from Amazon : The Sewing Machine Guide, tips on choosing, buying + refurbishing. By John Giordano. I recently purchase a used copy for $2, hoping to learn about new machines.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:01 PM

Welcome from Washington state. My first machine in college was a Kenmore, followed by a Brother. Now I have a Baby Lock Decorator's Choice for everyday sewing and a Pfaff Grandquilter for quilting. I would definitely go to numerous locations to test out various machines. Each location my have a preferred brand that they are bias toward. I agree with cathyvv - start with something less expensive until you know what kind of sewing you will be doing and what features you like. I also love my Baby Lock Wave Serger & Baby Lock Coverstitch (in large part because they have air threading) - but those are more specific to apparel sewing.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:23 AM

I agree, the new singers are the pits. I have 3 Baby locks and. Janome, love them all, I do a lot of embroidery on my baby lock Ellisimo, have Baby Lock quilters quest, Baby lock Decorators choice and a janome , that I take to class. I do a lot of heavy duty things and have found that Singers just don't hold up to that, I had the Singer golden touch in the 1970's, very fuzzy machine wouldn't hold up to heavy duty things. I do a lot of bow tucks bags an make heavy duty handles.

Take a sample of something heavy duty with you when trying out a machine to see if the machine will work with it. If you do only do light weight stuff and don't use the machine for much, cheap is ok, but remember you get what you pay for and I can tell you I replace 3 machines that were cheap with in a month of buying them. Two from target and one from Walmart, never buy from a place that doesn't know anything about sewing machines, for they will not be able to help you in the long run.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Just to say again that some of the basic machines don't need much in the way of instruction and can be returned. We have heard many of our posters complain about very poor service at dealers of almost and probably every brand so to me that would not be my main goal for a basic machine.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:06 AM

I've never had any kind of poor service at the dealer I use, although I have heard some members complain about a certain dealer, I would still recommend going to a dealer and get a "feeling" on his/her customer service attitude. I stand by my recommendation also because you're a new sewer, if you have problems with the machine or the stitching or some other problem, you would be able to take it to the dealer.