Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
new on sewing need advice on machine >

new on sewing need advice on machine

new on sewing need advice on machine

Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 AM

Default new on sewing need advice on machine

hi everyone, im new to quilting and sewing. Im thinking of buying a sewing machine at amazon.com

any suggestions which one is good for a beginner like me?

Thx

</pre>
Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Welcome from the Adirondack Mountains of northern NY state! I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you suggestions on a machine. After using Singer for many years, I finally got a Bernina and I love it. I only wish I'd gotten it sooner. It is a basic machine but very sturdy and durable. Singer is not the same as it used to be and they make some very "cheap" models. By cheap I mean both in price and in parts. They just don't hold up like they did years ago. The one good thing about Amazon is the reviews. By reading them, you may find some help. Also, look for other reviews on line.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:45 AM

Hard question! I'm always scared to buy big ticket or working things without seeing them work. I had 2 singers from 1970 and 1985 - only because I wanted the newer options, I loved them both, still have and use 1. But then I got a Baby Lock - which sews and embroiders - love it. I would suggest you go try the machine you are thinking of buying then shop price.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM

You can't go wrong (in my opinion) on getting an old Singer. Not a newer one though. I had a Singer from the 1950's and it was a solid, hardworking machine. I currently have a Bernina (my 2nd Bernina) and have been very very happy. One suggestion, and this is just my opinion, if you're going to get a newer machine, don't go too cheap. I used to have a cheap machine (sorry don't remember the brand) and it never held a good tension, the bobbin winder broke and I had to wind my bobbins by hand, and was just overall frustrating and tried to zap the fun out of my sewing! One nice thing about Amazon though is you can read the reviews from other purchasers which is helpful. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 AM

Personally I would go to a dealer(not a Singer dealer though), a lot of times they'll have a higher end trade in and get a much nicer machine than if you bought it new. The best thing is, if you have problems you take it in, and they'll either fix the problem, or possibly the problem was user error, they can tell you what you were doing wrong. Also a lot of dealers will have classes for learning the machine you bough. Another thing is, you can test drive the machines and pick which one suits you the best. I also wouldn't buy ANY kind of new Singer, but would happily buy an old one.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 AM

I would advise you to look around and when you see what you like go to a dealer and test drive it. You can buy from where ever you like but remember if you are new to sewing having a local dealer usually gives classes or can help you if you have a problem.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 AM

Spend what you can afford and upgrade later if you need to do so. If you are a beginner, don't put lots of money into a machine you may not use all that much. I have a lovely little Brother machine that came from Walmart years ago. It has made everything from prom dresses to curtains to quilts.

If you go to a dealer looking for a used machine, be sure you don't let them talk you into dozens of bells and whistles that you don't understand. Start simple. Quilting and sewing does not need to cost a fortune to be a great hobby.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:12 PM

Welcome from OHIO!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 PM

Welcome from Co., I do love Janome's. Got mine from Amazon and it was great. They are very dependable and sturdy
Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 PM

It really depends on your budget and your experience with sewing. If you have never sewn before, than I suggest that you get an inexpensive Brother machine to get yourself started. Even the inexpensive ones seem to be work horses, and stand up to the unintentional abuse a beginner heaps on them. I know that from personal experience!

Last edited by cathyvv; 03-02-2014 at 08:31 PM.