New use!

Old 01-22-2015, 04:56 PM

Think of all the confused guys at Home Depot over the next few days (sales department - weird use division). Maybe we could just have them call Harbor Freight to get some advice on what to do with us from the guys who sell more carpet cutting blades than there is carpet in town.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 AM

Linkd, you're funny! I have some 'stuff' that is like interfacing, and probably is what you're talking about in this thread. It's grey and from Costco years ago. Bought it in the spring (planting season) to go around newly set in plants. Then I covered the fabric stuff with cedar chips. It lets in rainwater for the plants, but keeps the weeds from growing. Weeding is so not interesting to me. You could probably use it in sewing, but I've never tried it or even thought about it.
Lynnie, I bought this years ago and couldn't tell you any of the information about what it's made of, etc. Sorry. I just know it keeps me from weeding!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Went to guild meeting...having missed two prior. Learned about something new, so I thought I would pass along, but you may already know about it...hardware store product called Sewer Cloth or Soil Separator Cloth.....it comes in a roll of 300 ft, about 36" wide....wondering "what for?"............very light weight interfacing......show n tell.....she used it on back of pieces she wanted to appliqué by machine, but turn under the edges...like EB........best part....cheaper than l/w interfacing at JAB......went and bought a roll.....enough for a lifetime!, but now I can tackle a precut SS that has been sitting on shelf for------ yrs!
I'd like to see a picture....
Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 AM

Thanks for sharing, will work great for sewing patterns as well as quilting and sew-in interfacing, if it's strong enough for that. I bought a roll of medical paper, like you see on exam tables, rather cheap on Amazon, but it's only 18" wide, this is 36". Awesome!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 AM

Picture here:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Soil-Sepa...210757&cj=true

Originally Posted by LindaR View Post
I'd like to see a picture....
Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
I was going to mention that also. I'm a long time quilter and it is really hard for me to understand some of these abbreviations. Is everyone in so big a hurry that they can't type out word? You know this isn't chat. I notice the other day a person new to quilting and the Quilt Board ask for advice and people replied using a lot of abbreviations, I'm sure she didn't understand any on it and I couldn't help her because I didn't know what they were writing either.
AMEN!!!!! I just ignore those posts mostly unless I really want to look up them up. This board is to help people, not make it hard for newbies....
Old 01-23-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
Yes, that is the product....I bought mine at menards(another big box store type)... Should have checked Home Depot first...mine is 300 ft.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:49 PM

I did a Google search for this. The company site says it is made of a type of plastic. Haven't seen it in person.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:03 PM

The nonwoven stuff I have is gray, so it's different, although it might work the same as this Home Depot product. Something to look for at the hardware store.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:13 PM

It is also used for stabilizer for embroidery machines. I bought 2 leather recliners from Sam's club and they came emcased in this type fabric. I've been using it for emb stabilizer--only do not place hot iron on. I found it okay to iron garments as long as I press the fabric side. Can you imagine how long this supply will last--2 big chairs??