Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$1000 machine isn't good? >

$1000 machine isn't good?

$1000 machine isn't good?

Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 AM

Usually you can get some real bargains from those craft fairs, etc. However in your case it seems that person was only interested in making a huge commission. I would suggest that you list what things are important to you, in a machine. Such as large throat, needle down, etc. Then head off to your local dealer. First you will be able to purchase your machine locally, and have someone to teach you how to use your new machine. You will have local service, and warranty service. You should also hopefully like the folks you are dealing with.

I might add that your local shop probably has a lot of super nice trade ins' that you can get for a fraction of the cost. Also ask about store demo machines, there is another word for it, but for the life of me I cannot think of it. I purchased my Babylock quest from the dealer here at a fraction of the cost because it had been a store demo. It was complete with all the accessories, and I love it. Additionally once your at the shop, be sure to use the machine yourself. Take along the types of fabric you will be sewing on. At the time I bought mine I was working on a rag quilt and the machine I had would not go over 6 layers of flannel. So every machine I tested had to be able to go over that amount of fabric. I took samples of the fabric with me, to test.

You should be able to get a very nice machine for $1000. Good luck and keep us posted on your search.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
You may want to consider getting a vintage metal machine for piecing and going over those seams. Keep your Singer for those decorative stitches and extra features. A vintage Singer 401 or even a straight-stitch-only 201 would have all the power you would need for heavier piecing. And at a lot less than $1000 to buy it and have it completely refurbished.
This would be my advice also! A Singer 201, 15-91, 301, 401. All are powerful, great piecing machines. Just be aware they are heavy! Not something you would want to lug to a class. I use a Singer 221 Featherweight to take to class. I only use my computerized machine when I need/want fancy stitch patterns.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:56 AM

Default Wonnie

As the others have said, you sure don't need a $4000 machine. I have a bottom of the line Baby Lock for a $1000 that does everything I need plus it sews over bulky seams (Quilter's Choice), threads itself and cuts the thread when I'm finished. But, just recently, I received my monthly email from IKEA and they were advertising a sewing machine for $69.95. Well, I had to go look at it just for curiosity sake and, when I got there, found it to be only $59.95! It looks like a child's machine and is white plastic with Disney- like bright blue and yellow trim. Of course, I had to have it. Well, that little cutie sews 3 different straight stitches, 3 different zigzags and has 6 decorative stitches ( more than I need) and a buttonholer, is light weight and has a carrying handle and it sews like a little gem. So, long story short, you can find a great machine for far, far less than even $1000. Make a list of what you absolutely want and go from there. To me the higher priced machines often have features I would never in a million years use. Kind of like a washing machine that does everything but put the clothes away when all I want it to do is wash clean, rinse well and spin dry.

Last edited by Wonnie; 09-07-2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: typed wrong dollar amount
Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 AM

I got Sears Kenmore floor model for $400, made by Janome, that is the same as the Janome memory Craft 10000. I use it a lot for fancy stuff, but for sewing really straight seams and quilting and making purses, nothing beats my $40 201. It came with all the accessories, the bentwood case and a lovely oak sewing table that the base of the sewing machine box fits into perfectly. It has a really large space under the harp for quilting.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 AM

LOL sounds like SHE just wanted a BIG sale !! You absolutely do NOT need to spend $4K on a new machine ... you can get a lot of GREAT machines for $1,000 or even less ! There are models in EVERY makers line for less than $1,000 with plenty of features !
I personally recommend the Janome 6600, I got mine 2 yrs ago for $1100 and it is a workhorse. It has more than enough stitches and features, dual feed and it machine quilts very well. It handles everything from piecing to sewing on denim and canvas to freemotion.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 AM

I mostly use my vintage machines for quilting. I have a Singer 401a, 403a, 201, 66-16,15-91. I have a new Janome that cost me a pretty penny but I prefer but vintage machines. I picked all of mine up off of craigslist for under 75.00. So maybe try your local craigslist.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 AM

Consider getting a machine with a large throat so you can finish your quilts yourself and not send them out. That would save you some serious cash that you could put toward a little higher end machine. It takes practice but I have found that finishing my own quilts gives me a great deal of satisfaction.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 AM

Yes, if you can get a larger throat. I still can't beat my Siner Quantum XL for just sewing and satin stitching. My favorite besides it is my Singer Futura. It can do embroidery especially and I can't get any better than it. It is a workhorse, so look at those especially the newer model of it. They have a newer and better edition and I would go with that if I could get a newer one.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:12 AM

I think that's sad she would say that.
Yes, I know there are machines that some feel they must have that cost thousands of dollars but my little one that was $500 a few years back has done almost 300 quilts and I can't tell you how much other sewing such as garments and draperies, etc.
Buy what you can afford and get a good brand. I love my two Janomes and my Featherweight but I also have an old Touch and Sew by Singer that still is sewing fine after 40 years. I don't think I would buy from someone who told me I couldn't get a good machine for $1,000 personally, but that's just my opinion.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:09 PM

I bought a Janome used from the dealer for $600. I love it!