Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 patch

Kathy, I really like this quilt. What a good idea!

Dina

Had not heard of Venetian ruler. Love the QB for new information. Also like Kathy T's quilt.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy T. View Post
    You could alternate your 9-patches with simple half-square blocks to add a diagonal to the design. This is a scrap one I did for a children's charity that would look great in your color scheme.
    Another simple variation that adds a great deal of interest!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Love your quilt could you tell me how big is the finished blocks. I want to try it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    Love your quilt could you tell me how big is the finished blocks. I want to try it. Thanks
    Thanks, Maureen and all who complimented my simple charity quilt. This one was donated back in 2010 to an organization called Wrap-Them-in-Love (http://www.wraptheminlove.org/) so you're really making me think about the size! This is what I'm guessing:

I'm thinking the 9-patch blocks were 6 inches, finished. That puts the strips to make them at 2 1/2 inches wide. I usually make the alternating half-square blocks slightly over-sized and cut them down to 6 1/2 inches (unfinished). To do that, I put together two squares (right sides together) that are 7 inches apiece. Then I draw a diagonal line and sew 1/4 inch away on either side of the line. Cut in half diagonally to make two of the half-square blocks. Square these up to 6 1/2 inches before sewing to the 9-patch blocks.

I've never written directions before, so I hope that helps.

You can then make your quilt any size you want depending on the number of blocks. Mine was child-size ... about 40 inches wide with the two borders and maybe 52 inches long. With that width, I don't have to piece the backs so it conserves fabric and I can make more kids' quilts!

When looking up the size for the other scrappy 9-patch I posted, I ran across this one that I donated to a kids' charity back in 2008. The idea was from a Quilter's Newsletter magazine and the original had appliqued vines on a rather wide border. The border made it too large for the size the charity requests, so I left it off. I thought it was called Dressed to the Nines, but when I googled that today I got the cute little girls dresses quilts that have been popular recently. Maybe this pattern isn't on the web. I could probably find the issue I took it from since I can't weem to throw a magazine away!

This one would look good with the animal prints and neutrals, too. Here's the picture before it was quilted:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kathy T.; 02-26-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: to resize picture

When looking up the size for the other scrappy 9-patch I posted, I ran across this one that I donated to a kids' charity back in 2008. The idea was from a Quilter's Newsletter magazine and the original had appliqued vines on a rather wide border. The border made it too large for the size the charity requests, so I left it off. I thought it was called Dressed to the Nines, but when I googled that today I got the cute little girls dresses quilts that have been popular recently. Maybe this pattern isn't on the web. I could probably find the issue I took it from since I can't weem to throw a magazine away!

This one would look good with the animal prints and neutrals, too. Here's the picture before it was quilted:
    I love this pattern and would love more info on how to make it if you wouldn't mind PMing me the specifics.

Handcraftsbyjen:
    I have sent you a PM.

Not terribly complicated but quite eye catching.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Wow some great ideas!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast