Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about bigger throat on machine >

? about bigger throat on machine

? about bigger throat on machine

Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 PM

Hey guys, My family keeps asking me what I want for Christmas..And I really want to upgrade from my little target inexpensive Singer sewing machine that I bought. (which I bought just to see if I would like quilting, and i do)
I would like to stay in the 300$ up to 400$ range for my second upgrade... I've researched and researched...I cant seem to find a machine that has a needle up/needle down position With at least a 9 inch throat..Do any of you know if there is such a beast out there in this price range?

If I have to go without the bigger throat.. I'm looking into a Sears kenmore ( heard they were made by janome) ..My cousin has an older kenmore and sewing on hers is like smooth as silk compared to me singer esteem( and soo much more room under the presser foot)..
Second choice so far is the Viking/emerald 118=429$- only brand Joann sells ( I did request to be called if anyone brought one in for trade up...They pretty much told me there were at least 2 ahead of me lol...The viking I could trade up on..However, the kenmore is 100$ less..
I know there are a thousand threads on " what machine should I buy" but, my questions and price range are specific..Would so love to hear anyones input...tanks

Any feed back on the 9 " throat and or anyone who has suggestions on a machine they adore in this price range and why....
EDIT- oh and the type of quilting I would like to do is piecing and little quilting ( if the bigger throat). Wallhangings= lots of bias sewing, if any of this helps.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 PM

I have a Janome Jem Platinum 760--- only thing - it's got a 6" throat. I've sewn TONS of fabric -- made totes and quilts. I've also machine quilted wall hangings with it. Although the new price at a store is higher than you're wanting --- talk to the dealers. Our LQS sells the demos and class machines for a lot less.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Banned

I am not aware of any machine in your price range preference that has a 9" throat. I believe there is an ELNA but around $1500 You might look into industrial type machines but I don't know the quality of their straight stitching.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Power Poster

My Singer has a 7" throat, and to be really honest? IMHO, I don't think an additional 2" would make that big of a difference...
I agree, the needle up/down feature is a great one to look for, I also use a lot of decorative stitches in my quilts, and a good blanket stitch for applique has been invaluable.
Being able to move my needle position to get a perfect 1/4" and scant 1/4" has been awesome too...
You can get all of these in the $300 price range and have some left over cash to purchase a walking foot, and maybe a few other handy ones too.
One thing about having a Singer, I haven't found a generic foot that hasn't worked with it yet :wink: and my walking foot was $20 including shipping :D:D:D

My suggestion is to stay within your price range and get the extra functions that you want now, and maybe save up and get a mid arm machine in the future :D:D:D

Also, if you can get your machine set in flush in a table, you may find it much easier to quilt with a domestic machine too. There are many tutes on how to do this on the net. It is less hassle to manuever the quilt around if everything is nice and flat. :D:D:D
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 PM

It is possible to quilt a large quilt on a small harp; it just takes practice. I do it all the time.
If you enjoy the learning process, and it sounds as if you do, get yourself a sturdy used machine that is all metal; in other words, a 'pre-owned' older model. There will be fewer things to go wrong with it. Then start on small quilts and gradually work your way up the sizes. You will gain both confidence and skill as your finished pieces stack up. And I can pretty much guarantee you that as soon as you finish a baby quilt, you will find someone who needs one!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks Holice, I kind of thought I was pipe dreaming on the 9" in my price range but, it was worth a shot ( lil laugh)

I have already quilted a 73"x63" on my singer and it wasn't easy..Was hoping the few extra inches would help...

On a good note. I found a long armer right around the corner from me - She's going to charge 40$ for an 80x80" (straight meander) hopefully shes good...So I'll just stick with her until I'm ready for upgrade #3 lol

Amma, thanks for taking the time to tell me what you look for most in a machine in that price range. It really helps

k9, I'll keep my eye open for a preowned older model..That's what my cousins Kenmore is...It's not real fancy but I love how it sews..Not only the generous space under the presser foot . Also her foot petal feels really good...Mine jerks like I'm gunning at a stop light, just trying to gain control of it lol
Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Google Goddess

have you checked out Arbuckles in Noblesville, Indiana as he works on machines and sell some, not sure what he has

http://www.arbuckles-rrp.com/index.html
Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
have you checked out Arbuckles in Noblesville, Indiana as he works on machines and sell some, not sure what he has
No, I havent but I cut n pasted that and I'll check into it (thanks for the link)..My only other option is my LQS...Ahh heck, I'll check them all lol
Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 PM
np3
Power Poster

My Pfaff has a 9 inch throat and I love it! It does make a difference.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 PM

also check with Ken's Sewing, www.kenssewingcenter.com. They often have trade-ins or great deals. If you are vigilant, I have seen Janome 6500's go for around $700 on ebay. It has a 9" throat and I will attest to it being a workhorse, also it has a thread cutter, needle up/down and over 100 stithes.