Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt vs rulers? >

Accuquilt vs rulers?

Accuquilt vs rulers?

Old 01-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

My hat is off to you. I wouldn't like my DH to be part of my quilting unless I couldn't physically do a part of it.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:54 PM

I got the Accuquilt Go BIG for Christmas and took advantage of their sale on dies before Christmas to get the Strip Bundle. I've been super busy with prepping for teaching beginning quilt classes so haven't used it as much as I want, but love it! it's accurate and speedy and doesn't cause more wear & tear on a shoulder that is causing problems.
I've bought some of the triangle in a square dies and now saving for a 12" Qube die set.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:14 PM

I have the sizzix and it collects dust, use my june tailor shape cut plus all the time, wouldn't be without my rulers
Old 01-20-2016, 05:05 AM

I love my GO! After I finish I a quilt I cut the left over fabric that is under a 1/2 yard into strips (2 1/2"). I am now making charity quilts from the strips and I just finished the 8th one yesterday. I think I have enough to do at least 6 or 7 more. I am making them according to color and I really like how they are coming together.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:25 AM

I've had a GO! since November (bought it used) and I LOVE IT! I bought the 6" Cube and my friend bought the 8" Cube and we share. She also got the 2.5" strip die and the Hunter Star BOB. I got the Lemoyne Star BOB and the Blazing Star BOB. We can cut almost any basic quilt piece with those dies. She has a GO! Big which can run through two of the cube dies at once. Talk about a time saver.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:07 AM

I have been considering buying one since I keep getting tendonitis in my cutting arm. Saw a demonstration on the GO! last Friday and quite honestly, I think I could cut through 6 layers of fabric easier than turning the crank. I do One Block Wonder quilts so I have a need to cut 6 layers at the same time.

Quite frankly, the only one I would consider is the new electric one and that one just costs a fortune.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:37 AM

..."electric one costs a fortune". opposed to treadle sewing machine and electric? I have a GO ...love it...next step up will be electric one....why not......
Old 01-20-2016, 06:45 AM

I HATE cutting out and I don't like kits.

I've had both the Sizzix and now the Go. I preferred the Sizzix, but they discontinued the dies I wanted. I had the original Big Kick and it had been through the wars with a scrapbooking daughter. Took a licking and kept on ticking.

I'm just now reading through all the information on cutting with the Accuquilt and some is fascinating.
I think I've also seen yardage for each die listed - like how many pieces you can get out of a fat quarter.

I'm finishing up Jaybird's Night Sky. That got held in abeyance due to the amount of 1 1/2" strips it wanted. Five passes with the Go 1 1/2" strip die (WOF) did all of them. It wanted 49 for the twin size and the die does 5. I doubled the fabric.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 01-20-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:57 AM

Interesting reading, thanks everyone! I have problems with my hands sometimes from overuse but love doing quilts with lots of pieces! Sometimes my shoulder and hand hurt from all the cutting.

It's a toss up here from what I can tell. Some of you love the Accuquilt and some found it pointless. I hate that when you buy something and get all excited only to never use it and shove it in a corner.

I am getting so many raggedy pieces of fabric and really should try Bonnie Hunter's organization system where she cuts strips and squares and HST's and has them ready to pull out in bins.

I haven't seen these cutters in person but they look like little playdoh machines. Are they plastic? Do they hold up well? Can you put uneven scraps in or do you have to have nice neat rectangles before you can use it?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:57 AM

I prefer rulers for most of my cutting - I'm actually faster with my June Tailor rulers than I am with the die cutter, and produce almost zero waste.

However, for cutting circles it's great. Also for making raggy quilts - I will NEVER snip one of those by hand again! I was seriously worried about my knuckles and finger joints after my first one, it was really hard on my poor hands. The Accuquilt raggy dies save a massive amount of wear & tear on my hands.

For me it's a tool with a specific and somewhat limited use, but for those specific uses it's the best tool for the job. Maybe when the arthritis really sets into my hands I'll invest in the powered one and be more inclined to cut simpler shapes with it but for now it's my circle-and-raggy-block cutter and that's about it.