Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Adding Photos to Quilt >

Adding Photos to Quilt

Adding Photos to Quilt

Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 PM

Default Adding Photos to Quilt

I wanted to add a few photos onto my GS quilt and was wondering what you all have found successful.
Did you use your own ink jet printer? (ours is not so good) Any one use Staples or other places and have them use their copy machines?
How did the photos last during wear and washings? Which type stood up the best? worst?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Reb

I used printed treasures for the photos in my inkjet printer. They came out really nice. This was for the son of a DF. He was going to college. We're talking dorm room and shared apartments. I just got some new pictures of the quilt
so I could put them in a journal. The picture showed the quilt and pictures in good shape. That is after about 7 years. Tip-I had a problem with one photo that did not print quite square. I touched it up with a pigma pen. Also do a test print on plain paper 1st. Printed Treasures is not cheap. It was recommended by my LQS. The owner is very well versed in antique quilts and archival products. It was my most challenging yet fun quilt to make. Good luck
Old 09-11-2013, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

there are a number of products on the market for printing pictures on fabric for quilts- it is important to read the packages and buy the one that meets your requirements, some are washable-some dry cleanable, some made for wall hangings, items that will not be washed. it is also important to follow the instructions once you choose which one you want to use- for heat setting, rinsing, what ever the instructions say---follow them----for the best results. I took a large picture to a print shop one time- because it was too large for me to copy it on my home printer- they 'guy' said ' oh- certainly, we can put that onto your fabric for you- we've done a few of these lately' so I left it, knowing when to go back to pick it up...it was like a t-shirt decal- rubbery, thick when I picked up the picture- not at all what I had 'thought' I would be getting. I used it-but was kind of disappointed- since when you print your own they are soft, does not change the 'hand' of the fabric at all- they are just like any printed fabric---I have not tried a commercial method since, so I don't know if all the places willing do it the same way as the one I used (OfficeMax) its easy to do your own though (as long as they are printer paper sized) just follow the instructions.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:27 AM

I've also used printed treasures with good results. I made a quilt for my GS's graduation gift and put pictures on the back. He wouldn't have wanted them on the front.... he's just that kind of guy. Anyway, my daughter washes his quilt often..... more often than I would have.... and the pictures are holding up very well.

I agree with the suggestion about printing on paper first..... make sure your ink levels are up to snuff. I use my printer..... it's a good one.... but before I got a good printer I took pictures and the fabric sheets to my copy shop and they printed some for me. So, if you don't think your printer will do a good enough job, that's an option.