Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice for newbies >

Advice for newbies

Advice for newbies

Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 AM

I stopped sewing for people several years ago. I still create items for gifts, but I found that dealing with people's expectations of cost of fabric & supplies, time it would take to finish a project and the fact that it didn't come out of an overseas factory, were just too stressful for me. I have a stressful job and decided that I needed my sewing to be a peaceful process. For a while, coworkers would come into my office and dump their mending on my desk for me to take care of! It was hard but I finally let people know that I don't sew for others anymore. Those were hard conversations for me to have, but I'm much happier this way.

When I did sew for people, I actually had them sign a contract. I got tired of people claiming surprise at the end with all of the cost, time, etc.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 AM

Years ago, I offered to make an over-size queen quilt for a friend when she re-painted her bedroom. I was envisioning using up a lot of blue and cream fabric I already had. Turns out she didn't like some of the fabrics and I ended up spending money on more fabric. (It didn't seem right to expect her to buy the fabric since I offered to make her the quilt.). So it kind of turned into an expensive obligation. While I was making the quilt, I felt like I can't wait to get done with this.

Last year I had so much fun making a wallhanging size quilted backround and then quick FMQ circles on top of it. I actually thought of asking all of my FaceBook friends if anyone wanted me to make one for them! Then I thought NO because people would say they wanted certain colors or sizes. And I'd be sorry I offered!

Now I do make quilts for people, but they don't usually know they're the lucky recipient until I give it to them. For me, feeling obligated takes the fun out of doing it.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 AM

I will not EVER promise a quilt to anyone. I made 2 jelly roll race quilts for 2 of my daughters. I had them finished before I even told them about them. That way, I didn't get rushed or nervous. I'm 71 and retired and quilting is very expensive. I just want to enjoy doing it and do it in my own time. I'm not mean, I'm just old.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
One thing I wish I would have done:

Kept my mouth closed about offering/promising to make quilts for other people until I had made one or two!
Did you offer to make quilts for others before you'd even completed one? That was quite optimistic of you!

I enjoy reading about other people's experience with this. It's been really helpful in working out how I will approach the issue when it comes up again.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM

I enjoy reading about this topic. I would never contract to do a quilt for someone. I love quilting, and I'm retired. I don't need another job. I give away most of the quilts I make to family and friends, but I pick the pattern and fabric. They don't know about it until it is finished. I couldn't take the stress of a deadline, or working on something I don't like. It would take all the fun out of my hobby. I like to knit and crochet too. I do make a lot of scarves and afghans for the daughters and daughter-in-law. They usually buy the yarn and I do the crochet or knitting. That's a lot quicker and easier than making a quilt.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 PM

I am just starting out in quilting, but have been painting and making other art for years, and the rules are very much the same. Based on previous experience, I'd never offer to make something for someone, though I do give away pieces to people who feel strongly about them because I can, and because if I charged for time and materials they'd be shocked. I do it for me, not for them. Though praise is nice.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by pokeygirl View Post
I just want to enjoy doing it and do it in my own time. I'm not mean, I'm just old.
I LOVE this!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
All good advice! Some of us learn the hard way. ;o)
Yep, Been there, done that for over 10 years. Not an easy task.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 PM

So much wisdom in this thread!!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM
bj

One thing I did when I was new to quilting was try just one block I liked the look of. I made a kit of coordinating fabrics and just looked around. If I see a block I like, I make it. When i get enough for a quilt, I put it together and gift it to someone and start over.That way, I can have fun and not always be committed to a quilt. Or i can try new techniques without "ruining" a quilt (0: I think I have 35 or so blocks in my newest batch and still going. I get lots of ideas from blocks of the month here on the board and visiting quilters cache. Mostly, just have fun. Mistakes are just a lesson waiting to be learned.