Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice for newbies >

Advice for newbies

Advice for newbies

Old 07-08-2014, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Default Advice for newbies

One thing I wish I would have done:

Kept my mouth closed about offering/promising to make quilts for other people until I had made one or two!

I think it takes actually making (and finishing) a quilt to truly appreciate the cost, time, and effort involved in making one.

Also, IF one feels compelled to offer to make something - put limitations on it! Such as size, pattern, colors/fabrics you have available.

What one might be thinking about making would be a lap or couch quilt from fabrics on hand - and the recipient wants a "to-the-floor king-size bed covering" made from $15.00/yard fabrics.

IF the recipient wants something other than what you have available - that depends on your assets. For some, it is a hardship to buy a lot of new stuff. If it is a hardship, I think it is okay to ask for help in purchasing the needed items. (Besides, people tend to take better care of things they have some investment in!!!!)
Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 AM

All good advice! Some of us learn the hard way. ;o)

Last edited by Jeanne S; 07-08-2014 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Mid-spelling
Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM

My advice is: Make what you want to make for yourself first, make and give away quilts that you want to make and give away, second. I've only done 1 quilt that someone wanted me to make for money...... and it worried me the whole time I was making it. It was not worth it.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:54 AM

My advice is more on the line of buying fabric. When I first started, I would buy fabric in one yard pieces. (This wasn't matching fabric, mind you, just fabric I liked.) I discovered later that one yard rarely is enough for what I wanted, since I didn't (and don't) usually have a pattern in mind when I fall for fabric. Now I buy at least two yards. Sometimes more.

Dina
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM

Also, if you find a fabric you absolutely LOVE and it's on sale, get at least 4 or 5 yards! With that amount, you'll have enough to use in just about any pattern. Left-over fabric is a GOOD thing, too!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:04 AM

I avoid all deadlines--I find them so stressful. I gift quilts, but not (usually) for occasions/holidays--too much like a deadline. Bottom line: when I quilt, I do what I want when I want. This is my joy, not my job.

I think many times newbies get caught up in too many projects (often for others) and don't take enough time just to enjoy the process.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM

I had just made my first quilt that was taught at a LQS. I must have paid over $200 for the fabric for the queen size and then there was the batting and backing which must have ran close to $50. A dear friend asked me to make her a similar quilt for $25.00. I realized right then and there that non-quilters have no clue and the best thing I could ever do is say NO. And so I did. And have kept on saying NO.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM

Great advice. I would add: learn the basics, don't cut corners or try short-cuts until you've mastered those basics. And then: Grow!! Learn new techniques, try increasingly difficult patterns, work with new fabrics; don't get stuck on D9P or Yellow Brick Road for all of your quilting life LOL. Most of all: have fun--it's not a job unless you make it one.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
My advice is: Make what you want to make for yourself first, make and give away quilts that you want to make and give away, second. I've only done 1 quilt that someone wanted me to make for money...... and it worried me the whole time I was making it. It was not worth it.
this is the way i feel about it too
Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 AM

I have several rules when someone requests that I make a quilt for her: (1) I have final approval on the pattern. This is non-negotiable. We can go through my patterns together so that you can find one you like. I will probably never get around to that double wedding ring for me, so why would I make one for you? (2) I will take you to the LQS and you will pick out and pay for ALL of the fabric, thread, batting, etc. for the quilt up front. How much does it cost, you ask? Figure on $150-$250, depending on the size you want. (3) You will have to wait at least 6 months to get your quilt. I have a full-time job and my own projects to work on, so despite what you think, this is not my #1 priority. (4) I charge $15 an hour for my time and will require a $150 non-refundable deposit before I cut any fabric. When I finish the quilt, I will let you know how much more you owe me for my labor, but it will probably be at least another $150. You may think $15 an hour is high, but I make over twice that in my real world job. I could always charge you that rate. (5) Any fabric left over goes into my stash. You don't sew, so what would you do with it anyway? Depending on the size, I may have a long-armer do the quilting. I will get an estimate from her, and you will pay me before she begins quilting. And finally, (7) Once the quilt is finished, you have 6 weeks to pick it up. If you do not pick it up and pay in full within that 6-week time period, I get to keep it. You have had 6 months to save the money. I realize stuff happens, but you committed to this.

I don't say it as cut and dried as it sounds, but I lay it all out so we are clear on the terms. Needless to say, no one has said "So when do we meet at the LQS." If anyone ever does, I will have a written contract outlining all these points in hand for their signature.