Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice for newbies >

Advice for newbies

Advice for newbies

Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

I couldn't agree more about ppl taking better care of things they have an investment in.
That may not always be true, but more often than not,
I have seen ppl be careless with things that were just handed to them
Old 07-11-2014, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I have several rules when someone requests that I make a quilt for her: (1) I have final approval on the pattern. This is non-negotiable. We can go through my patterns together so that you can find one you like. I will probably never get around to that double wedding ring for me, so why would I make one for you? (2) I will take you to the LQS and you will pick out and pay for ALL of the fabric, thread, batting, etc. for the quilt up front. How much does it cost, you ask? Figure on $150-$250, depending on the size you want. (3) You will have to wait at least 6 months to get your quilt. I have a full-time job and my own projects to work on, so despite what you think, this is not my #1 priority. (4) I charge $15 an hour for my time and will require a $150 non-refundable deposit before I cut any fabric. When I finish the quilt, I will let you know how much more you owe me for my labor, but it will probably be at least another $150. You may think $15 an hour is high, but I make over twice that in my real world job. I could always charge you that rate. (5) Any fabric left over goes into my stash. You don't sew, so what would you do with it anyway? Depending on the size, I may have a long-armer do the quilting. I will get an estimate from her, and you will pay me before she begins quilting. And finally, (7) Once the quilt is finished, you have 6 weeks to pick it up. If you do not pick it up and pay in full within that 6-week time period, I get to keep it. You have had 6 months to save the money. I realize stuff happens, but you committed to this.

I don't say it as cut and dried as it sounds, but I lay it all out so we are clear on the terms. Needless to say, no one has said "So when do we meet at the LQS." If anyone ever does, I will have a written contract outlining all these points in hand for their signature.
Love your attitude! I've learned to smile sweetly and say, It's so nice of you to think of me, but I'm so behind on my own projects I couldn't possibly take on something new.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:00 AM
bj

For Cratsbyrobin:

For this purpose, I mostly do 12.5" blocks or 6.5". That way I don't have to fuss too much making them fit together. A 4 patch of the smaller size blocks works up to the same size as the larger one. I've not tried smaller than 6.5 as I think the pieces would be tedious to work with. Although it might be fun if you wanted to make a mini quilt. Hmmm! Now I may have to try some! (0:

Last edited by bj; 07-18-2014 at 07:03 AM.