Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any tips for making a Puff Quilt (aka Bisuit Quilt)? >

Any tips for making a Puff Quilt (aka Bisuit Quilt)?

Any tips for making a Puff Quilt (aka Bisuit Quilt)?

Old 07-09-2015, 04:58 PM

Back in the old days when I made mine, in the mid seventies, some people were using their cleaned used panty hose for the puffy part. I wouldn't suggest stuffing them really full, like the above have said and I was also concerned about using them for a baby and smothering problems, but would look good hanging on the wall.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 PM

Jenny Doan has a tutorial on the MSQC site. http://youtu.be/as_IUHXR3oA

Last edited by Cybrarian; 07-09-2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 07-09-2015, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the pointers. I believe I will make it relatively small. The new mom really doesn't know much about quilts (or babies for that matter). One day I will make him a regular big boy quilt. For now, I suppose I will humor mom.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:09 PM

I am just finishing up a small pillow with only 16 puffs. It is the second one that I have made. I wanted to try one last year because my high school graduation quilt made by my grandmother was a puff quilt using worn out nylon stockings for the puff fillers. It was HEAVY.

Anyway, dealing with filled puffs when sewing is a challenge, so I do as much sewing as possible when the puffs are empty. I sew my puffs with the right side facing out to a muslin backing putting the pleats all the way around using a 1/8" seam. I pin and sew one side at a time chain piecing with the other puffs rather than sewing around all 4 sides of a puff before moving on. For me it makes pleating easier, since it is hard for me to pleat while the puff is under the presser foot.

When all puffs are made, I make the slits in the muslin for later stuffing and sew the puffs together using a 1/4" seam. The top is then sewn onto the backing in preparation for the birthing, but before turning, I stuff the puffs and do a quick hand sewing of the slit together on each one. It doesn't have to look pretty, since it is on the inside.

Because I am making pillows, I do a two piece quilted back fastened by Velcro. The large Velcro opening makes the birthing easy.

I am trying to get up the energy to do a baby quilt, because I know they are popular. However, those puffs are very tedious, and I would have to reserve half the winter for the project! The quilt my grandmother made is twin size with small puffs. The puffs are machine sewn on 3 sides turned and hand sewn on the 4th side, as well as hand sewn to the other puffs. There is no backing. It was a labor of love from Grandma to be sure!

Good luck with your project -- I hope you will post a picture when finished.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:33 AM

Years ago my Grandma made me a quilt similar to the biscuit quilt. She took two pieces of fabric and pinked the edges, sewed three sides together and stuffed it with nylons.She asked the family (big family) to save any nylons that were headed to the garbage. She cut the feet and body part of and just used the legs and would bleach them out in the washing.
Then she would sew all the blocks together leaving the pinked edges at the back sort of like a rag quilt before its time )
You could use poly batting to stuff the pockets with.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:11 AM
dd

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I made a pillow to see if I liked the process without making too big a commitment :thumb up:

I left one side open when I stuffed. Then I pinned the pillows with puffed sides (right sides) together and sewed. It was a little bulky, but it worked fine. The seams were not pretty underneath, but along the top, the puffed parts hid the seams nicely. You could start with pairs and sew the two open sides together first, so you don't have to worry about seams not catching as you go along.

For the pillow, I made a backing that consisted of two overlapping pieces so I could stuff the pillow inside the cover, but for a blanket I would probably use the birthing method. I think that would be easier than trying to get a binding to work.
If you are using the birthing method for the backing, you have to put the backing on before you stuff, otherwise the backing is too big. http://www.awaitingada.com/2012/10/n...comment-121331 This is the instructions I saved to make one. I think babies would rather be on top of the quilt so they can finger in between the puffs rather than under it.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:11 AM

when I made mine the tops were only 1/2 inch larger, you tend to want to stuff it to fill it out, it's looks cute but it's a bugger to sew together! I put mine together 4 at a time, sew 3 sides, stuff and hand baste, then I sewed them into 12 or 16 patches, once I had enough made I sewed the whole top together. when the top was done I put a back on it and tied with embroidery thread and bound like a regular quilt. good luck.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
Jenny Doan has a tutorial on the MSQC site. http://youtu.be/as_IUHXR3oA
I made this out of animal print Minkie for my DGS. It was a royal pain, turned out cute, but was very heavy. As soon as we put it on the floor, their newly adopted German Shepherd claimed it. All that work for the dog................good think I LOVE dogs LOL
Old 07-11-2015, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I came across this link that might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dtvrGPpA1Y
Old 07-11-2015, 07:00 AM

Jenny Doan at Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a great tutorial on this. I made one awhile back from her tute. Very easy.