Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else a "selfish" quilter? >

Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 PM

I have some in my family that don't appreciate home made things and wouldn't dream of having one on their beds but others ooh and aah over them. I guess it's a matter of taste or lack there of. I have dear friends that I have never made one for and some who I am not that close to that I have because I know they love them and don't have anyone who will make one for them. Most of my quilts are made with someone it mind but I have been making some lately just because I want to make them and their home is in a cedar chest. I love sleeping under a hand made quilt.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 PM

I just read this. LOL! I only wish I could be selfish. I have two lap quilts that I made. One on my bed and the other on the wall of my sewing room. All the rest have been given away to family and charities. I'd love to keep more of them, I just can't seem to do it. HELP!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 AM

I agree. I just had guests along with my sister who said this. Well, she does not know how to care for anything. Everything goes into the washing machine at once. She made the remark that she doesn't get anything I have quilted. I explained that I don't give out what I make as people want a certain color and pattern, even if it's made in China. I also went on about the labor, the cost of material per yard and the cost to have a quilter quilt it on the long arm. I showed some pics from a quilters blog andended by saying some quilts have been priced up to $36,000. That was my lecture for the day. No one asked again. But hopefully when we went to a few plantations, and they saw those quilts, they had more to think about.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by sunnycat
I read on this board a lot about how many quilters never keep any of their quilts and give away everything they make.I have about a dozen projects planned for the future, and they're all for me! Part of the reason is that we moved into a 2000 sqf house two years ago and it's half empty. Walls call out for wall hangings, tables call out for runners, chairs crave quilts draped over their backs. Another part of the reason I'm such a selfish quilter is that I know exactly no one who would want anything homemade. In my husband's family, it's never occurred to anyone to do anything for themselves. They think it is so weird that I cook from scratch and knit and sew. Heck, they think it's weird that I clean my house instead of stacking all my stuff on the floor, letting it collect dust (hoarding tendencies run in the fam). My SIL cooks brownies out of a box and I'll have to hear her husband and my in-laws go on about how she's the homemaker and chef of the year. My family is more or less the same way. I told my mom I was going to make an apron and some placemats and she immediately ran out to buy me some "real" ones. Which is why we only give out gift cards or cash for Christmas anymore.

Am I alone in this? I won't ever be making a quilt for anyone but me.
I think that you should count it among your blessings that you know that your husband's family doesn't appreciate "hand made" gifts. At least you won't be spending your time, and efforts, making items that may end up covering an old engine or under a dog having puppies. My family has been polite, if not quite understanding. I make quilts as gifts for "traditional" occasions (new babies), or upon request. I think it's time for me to make quilts just because I enjoy the process.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:50 PM

My daughters and granddaughters fight over them. Everyone loves them probably because they grew up with them. The only thing some of them don't like are my crochet stuff.