Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have a Brother VQ 2400? >

Anyone have a Brother VQ 2400?

Anyone have a Brother VQ 2400?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 AM

Default Anyone have a Brother VQ 2400?

I have had this machine for about a year and it did sew and quilt great until now. I have done about 10 quilts doing FMQ sit down and they all came out perfect. So when I started quilting a baby quilt I didn't think to look at the back until I had the quilt all done, the front looked fine, I know that was not a smart thing to do and I should have checked out that the bobbin thread.The bobbin thread looked like a ladder or straight across..

Now I am trying to figure out how to fix this problem, I am sure it is a tension problem. With this machine you just have a display panel that has buttons that you push to bring the tension up or down but doesn't say it is for the top thread or bottom thread. I tried all different setting and still the bobbin thread looks bad.

I looked up how to adjust tension but all of the videos showed a all metal bobbin case with a screw that you could adjust. after looking at the one on my machine it is part plastic and part metal and there is a screw there too, do you think this is where you would adjust the setting for the bobbin thread. I never had to touch this adjustment before, I hate to start messing with something I really don't know anything about for fear of really messing it up..

anyone have any problem with the bobbin thread on the machine, I would love to hear from you,, Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Are you sure it's the bobbin? the rule of thumb is if the issue is on the back, it's your top thread. If the problem is on the top, it's your bobbin. I'm guessing the machine may have been threaded wrong, or you have something stuck in your tension discs and so proper tension wasn't achieved. The other thing is did you remember to lower your presser foot?
Old 05-02-2016, 09:09 AM

I did check to make sure I had it threaded right and even rethreaded it and cleaned the machine really good , ok if it is the top thread and the bobbin thread looks loss or straight across like a ladder is the top thread to tight or loss? Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

The top thread could be too loose. It needs to be tight enough to pull the bobbin thread up into the fabric.

It can also be that the bobbin tension is too tight, but it is easier to adjust the top tension first.

Look at your bobbin case. See if the screw is associated with the spring on the case. The spring is what regulates the tension on the bobbin thread. Assuming your case looks like the ones you saw online, that is the screw you would want to loosen. I *just* did this for my sister's machine. In your case, since you are unaccustomed to doing this, it's a good idea to use a Sharpie to mark where the screw indentation is (so you can get back to that setting later, if necessary). Use a tiny screwdriver to turn the screw counter-clockwise (to loosen tension) *one-quarter of a turn*. Test. If it is better but needs more loosening, repeat. What you want to be careful about is not loosening that screw so much that it falls out!!! If this doesn't work, return to the original setting.

You have already made 10 quilts on a machine that has a partially plastic bobbin case. It could be that your bobbin case has changed over time, making it necessary to loosen the tension on it. Or, the bobbin case could be worn out. You can look online for a bobbin case replacement for your machine (may or may not be available). For lower-end machines it can be more cost-effective to get a new machine than to try to have yours repaired.

But, try changing the tensions -- tighten upper tension first and, if that doesn't work, loosen bobbin tension. Chances are the button on your machine is changing the upper tension only. I don't think machines typically can change the bobbin tension by means of a button.

Sorry all that information is out of order. No time to revise! But hope the info helps.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:05 PM

If the bobbin thread is straight across on the back then you probably need to tighten your top tension. When you look at the back does the bobbin thread look like a line straight across, with some of the top thread showing as little dots on the line?

Rob
Old 05-02-2016, 01:53 PM

you can adjust at the painted screw. there are 2 on the bobbin assembly, the one for the flathead screwdriver is adjustable, leave the phillips screw alone
Old 05-02-2016, 07:33 PM

Thank you.. Everyone gave me such great info on the tension of a machine, I'll try to tighten the top thread and see how that works,

Ladies...Your all going to laugh but I thought that the top thread only went to number four as that is what came up every time I turn on the machine, I now see you can set it higher, so I'll start with that. I really feel dumb about this..

Thanks prism99 for helping me understand about top thread versus the bobbin thread this was good to know..

Dolphyngyrl... Thanks I do have a painted green screw and a phillips screw on the bobbin assembly, but I will try the top thread first as I feel a little intimidated messing around with the bobbin case screw..

rryder Yes the bobbin thread did look like it was straight across, so I will now try to tighten the top thread.. Thanks everyone for your help,

I always can depend on all of you on this forum for help when i need it.. your all great! Thank you so much..