Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Apple Core.........Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny
    I am trying to teach myself how to make an apple core quilt. I'm not having much luck so far. :-(

After I sew the pieces together, they do not lie flat.....they ripple. I'm hoping my photos will give you an idea of what I am doing so you can help me figure out what I am doing wrong. Should I be sewing the apple core blocks in rows? Should I be clipping & turning all four sides of the block?

Would one or more of you lovely people please help me figure out what the problem is? Thank you in advance!
    Okay, if you look at the first picture, you will notice that the center pink block is flat. First I would make the seam allowance a bit smaller. 1/4 inch and no bigger. If you need to make a template to mark it with the included seam allowance ,do it. It will save you time in the end. I think as you put it together you will see that the blocks that are finished, will lay flat. Be sure and mark your seam allowance at the corners, both angles, and also the center of each curve and pin it. Then only sew to the corner angles leaving the seam allowance not sewn. I also think you might find this easier to put together if you sew a strip of them and then another strip, and then sew one strip to the other strip. I have done it that way. You end up just sewing undulations. Good luck and have fun with it.

Born in Washington State. Been in California since 1968.
    It's stretching on the bias. plus your seams are way too deep.
    One-Quarter Inch Seams....That's the LAW!!

Another thing you will find very helpful, is starch the devil out of it. Stiff as a board. It will fall right in for you.

You will have to clip, too.

Joya

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    Thsi tute is so simple and easy to understand. Hard to believe it could be as easy as she makes it look.

8-)

Blog Entries
    i just finished cutting out my core with the die...tying to sew....what did I get myself into...so far no so good

Blog Entries
    just sewed the first one after a few times I started getting the hang on it...thank goodness I have a seam ripper.

I bought the die for the Accuquilt Go, it's one of my projects for 2011. Will be curious to see how yours turns out!

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeNuwv0-SLc - this video helped me alot...don't use pins and make sure to hold up the fabric. I finished the first row. I posted on my blog. Its not too bad, just slow.

OK i am about to start a apple core quilt also and i watched a video from this link to do it so try it and maybe it will help OK

http://www.youtube.com/user/Missouri.../1/WeNuwv0-SLc

Blog Entries
    goodluck...I gave up

Blog Entries
    before you clip, trim the seam allowances down to 1/4 or less. then clip and they should lay better. they look sewn together well, so keep going.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6