Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 09-22-2010, 07:13 AM

I took a class in Hawaiian Quilting which is all hand turn applique. Must admit that I love doing the hand applique. My stitches are getting better along with the curves. I am definately a novice, but the more I do it the better I am getting. Would like to join your group.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by tess10
I took a class in Hawaiian Quilting which is all hand turn applique. Must admit that I love doing the hand applique. My stitches are getting better along with the curves. I am definately a novice, but the more I do it the better I am getting. Would like to join your group.
I haven't taken any classes but did one Hawaiian applique pillow for a friend who had brought back fabric from Hawaii. I do love Hawaiian applique and hope to get better. It won't stop me from trying to learn other methods though. :)
Old 09-22-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by craftybear

Love to see some of your projects with your raw edge machine applique
Most of my applique is dogs. I have done some flowers, as in 'Happy Daisies'. I will have to look and see what I might have left. I give most of my stuff away.

Here are the dogs.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50844-1.htm
I love your quilts. I would love to do the one you call Stairs to Airdale Heaven, but do it with Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Did you do the applique by machine or by hand? I just do machine, but would love to learn hand applique. Eva
Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
anyone working on this potholder project?

http://www.dotcomwomen.com/crafts/va...-holders.shtml
Oh! I didn't know we had agreed to work on it together. Who else is working on it? I'll do it with you.
I think I'll skip the potholder. Since it's not my first project, I think I'll look around for something a tad more challening...but not huge yet ;)
Old 09-22-2010, 01:10 PM

I'll do the pot holders, but can't 'til I get a few more projects done.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
I love your quilts. I would love to do the one you call Stairs to Airdale Heaven, but do it with Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Did you do the applique by machine or by hand? I just do machine, but would love to learn hand applique. Eva
I only do machine qpplique, as well. Don't have the patience to do hand work.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Google Goddess

not sure if anyone working on it, but you can if you like, I will start on mine next week, hopefully, thought it would be a good small project to start on

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
anyone working on this potholder project?

http://www.dotcomwomen.com/crafts/va...-holders.shtml
Oh! I didn't know we had agreed to work on it together. Who else is working on it? I'll do it with you.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Suz

I have read most of this thread and have not read the way that I prepare my applique pieces. I use templar (heat resistant template plastic), spray starch, small artist's brush and an iron (med hot). I trace the pattern onto the templar and cut out. If there are any rough edges, I smooth with an emory board. I then trace onto the back of the fabric for this particular pattern piece. Cut out with a 1/4" seam allowance. Spray a small amount of starch into a lid or dish.

Lay the cut piece down, lay the templar piece atop, using your brush wet the fabric (just the 1/4" seam allowance), using the side (not the point) of your iron carefully turn the edge onto the top of the templar. Do small sections and carefully move around the templar piece.

If you make a mistake or find an unwanted point, rewet and correct. Carefully remove the templar, reshape as needed, lay face up and press again to remove all wetness.

This process takes a bit of time to prepare, but you will be thrilled with the results.

MAKING A SHARP POINT ON LEAVES: Use my method! Do the sides first and the points last, tucking all edges at the point. Using a sandwich pick or toothpick will help hold and avoid burning your fingers.

Two other items to consider: Always cut your background piece 1" larger on all sides than the finished size. Applique makes the background shrink. Resize once the block is completed and pressed.

Also: ALWAYS press your project face down on a towel. You will be surprised at what a little steam will do.

AND! I am an appliquer from way back and have taken several classes. The applique preparation was taught by Karen Kay Buckley during a Baltimore Album year long class. (She has taken many, many top ribbons at most of the really big quilt shows.) If you want to read my (or Karen's) method of making accurate circles, look for http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-202-1.

Since I do not consider myself a beginner, if you have specific questions, I would be glad to help if I can.

Suz

I tried the site above and it does not work. The topic: "Grandmothers flower garden question". If you can correct, please do so. Thanks. S
Old 09-22-2010, 05:09 PM

craftybear I really like all the information (links) that you r sharing on here! I can spend hours just checking out the links and telling myself-- OH I NEED THAT!!!! lol I am going to do the pot holder this week. Now I just need to learn to post a picture on here. I need to take time to learn how to do this next. I have some turned applique that I would love to show but need to learn how to post pic. first.
BonniFeltz your cats r going to look very nice, have fun doing them.
Kwiltkrazy I love the Sun Bonnet Sue you did a lovely job.
Suz also thank you for the information that you shared about applique, very informative had to bookmark this page for sure. Thank you all for sharing .....Blessing
Old 09-22-2010, 05:36 PM

Great info Suz - thank you! Going to try some of this this weekend and see how I do. Craftybear - thanks for getting this rolling for all of us. I've done fusible applique with hand blanket stitching for several years, but I want to do needle turn. Going to get this if it kills me!