Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I'm late, I'm late for a very important date! If it's ok, I am going to try to catch up with the hearts project. Won't be doing it exactly as I am supposed to be, time and money constraints (ya know) but will do what I can.

Does anyone mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Conniequilts
    I'm late, I'm late for a very important date! If it's ok, I am going to try to catch up with the hearts project. Won't be doing it exactly as I am supposed to be, time and money constraints (ya know) but will do what I can.

Does anyone mind?
    I would love to have you join us Connie. I look forward to bugging you...I mean asking you...on progress reports. This is a portable lunch hour stitching project, yes? :)

Yes - once I get the hearts cut :)

Quote Originally Posted by BonniFeltz

Does anyone mind?
    I would love to have you join us Connie. I look forward to bugging you...I mean asking you...on progress reports. This is a portable lunch hour stitching project, yes? :)

Yes - once I get the hearts cut :)

Does anyone mind?
    Can't wait to see your fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I am about to attempt a quilt that will have some applique on it. I'm not very good with hand stitching, but did watch a tut that used an iron on fusing technique in which you sewed the pieces right sides together, made a little slit for an opening in the interfacing, then turned it right side out and pressed it onto the finished block. Has anyone done this? Forgot to mention that after you have turned and pressed in place, you stitch around it. Mine will definitely be stitched via the sewing machine. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    I am about to attempt a quilt that will have some applique on it. I'm not very good with hand stitching, but did watch a tut that used an iron on fusing technique in which you sewed the pieces right sides together, made a little slit for an opening in the interfacing, then turned it right side out and pressed it onto the finished block. Has anyone done this? Forgot to mention that after you have turned and pressed in place, you stitch around it. Mine will definitely be stitched via the sewing machine. ;-)
    that is similar to what somebody told me to try with using fabric sheets. I have tried it with fabric sheets as interfacing but that is about it. I actually don't normally use interfacing so am not too much help.

I will mention that if you use something like heat n bond and you get it on your ironing board and/or iron, iron a fabric softner sheet (like for the dryer). It takes it out and cleans it up.

Blog Entries
    I will mention that if you use something like heat n bond and you get it on your ironing board and/or iron, iron a fabric softner sheet (like for the dryer). It takes it out and cleans it up.[/quote]

What a neat tip. I'm sure I'll need it. Thanks :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    I will mention that if you use something like heat n bond and you get it on your ironing board and/or iron, iron a fabric softner sheet (like for the dryer). It takes it out and cleans it up.
    What a neat tip. I'm sure I'll need it. Thanks :lol:[/quote]

LOL. I found this out the hard way. I was ironing on top of a towel (that was on the ironing board) and had the fusing sheets facing wrong side down so the towel got the sticky fusible stuff on it. I tried this suggestion (can't remember who suggested it but thank you!). I put a dryer sheet down on top of the sticky stuff on the towel and started to iron it. It didn't take long for it to all come up. Glad that nobody saw the expression on my face. It must have been priceless because I didn't think it would work. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ukdame
    I noticed the seam turn also but maybe because it is on a white background. I made mine 1/4 inch but all the books I read say 3/16th. I have not seen any rulers that show sixteens. Who came up w/that crazy measurement?
    I finally completed my baby grandson to be's airplane applique quilt. I still have to do the same.But I want to embroider his name once I know it. Since I hand drew all the airplane features I may just do an outline of a plane for the pillow. I used cotton batting ( quilters dream ) which I think was a bit thin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love, love, love appliqueing....been doing that since way back when. I also love to puff-applique with batting, gives your project a "jumping-out-of-the-picture" look to it. I think I started out long time ago when sewing photo album covers were in vogue. Of course now no one I know would accept one even if you gave it to them, esp. with this digital age.

Love your baby quilt.Ukdame. The colors are so lovely.
    I do a lot of appliqueing too. Right now am working on 2 Christmas Tree skirts for my kids.
    Greeter Eva

Blog Entries
    Oh your grandsons airplane quilt turned out so cute. Way back when I very first started sewing thats exactly how I used to applique, of course I didn't realize it was applique I just did it. Now as I read & read all the applique ways it seems more complicating...lol Thats being said I did pick up a Cloves mini iron yesterday and can't wait to play with it.
    Again very cute.

Quote Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
    BonniFeltz, hope you have a fun time with it, I sure am. I think I am already getting addicted, staying with the easier blocks at first, my needling turning seems to be coming easier already. I am enjoying it, so I'll keep doing it. I can only get better, right.
    This is what I am going to try to do. Wish me luck.
    Hey, you beat me to it. That is a project I have partly cut out but haven't starting stitching yet. Any "pointers" you want to pass along! Looks Great! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Oh your grandsons airplane quilt turned out so cute. Way back when I very first started sewing thats exactly how I used to applique, of course I didn't realize it was applique I just did it. Now as I read & read all the applique ways it seems more complicating...lol Thats being said I did pick up a Cloves mini iron yesterday and can't wait to play with it.
    Again very cute.
    I used my Clover mini iron for the first time w/this quilt and found that it got very hot and worked well. Just be careful how it is secured because I got a burn when I grabbed it before it fell off the ironing board.

I've been with you since the first week, but because of health issues I haven't managed to catch up until today. Because I have 4 BOM's on the go - one a reverse applique Celtic of which I have done 11 of the 12 side blocks, and also have the centre 36" x 34" block to do - I won't join in the hearts project.

One of the BOM's I'm having a problem with. It is http://www.honeybeefabrics.com/store...duct=SpringBOM If you scroll down to the second block which is the Dahlia and have a look at the leaves, you will see why I'm in trouble.

Curves on ordinary leaves I don't have a problem with, but these notched ones are giving me nightmares. I've undone one of them so many times that is is unusable unless I cut it down for another one. Is there an easy way to do them? Would backing them with a stabiliser and turning it inside out work?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
    I've been with you since the first week, but because of health issues I haven't managed to catch up until today. Because I have 4 BOM's on the go - one a reverse applique Celtic of which I have done 11 of the 12 side blocks, and also have the centre 36" x 34" block to do - I won't join in the hearts project.

One of the BOM's I'm having a problem with. It is http://www.honeybeefabrics.com/store...duct=SpringBOM If you scroll down to the second block which is the Dahlia and have a look at the leaves, you will see why I'm in trouble.

Curves on ordinary leaves I don't have a problem with, but these notched ones are giving me nightmares. I've undone one of them so many times that is is unusable unless I cut it down for another one. Is there an easy way to do them? Would backing them with a stabiliser and turning it inside out work?

oooooh i hope someone can give us an answer b/c i have one coming up with leaves like that.

Blog Entries
    I tried to do some leaves like that too and had a horrible time. Hopefully Suz or someone else can give us tips for how to do these well,.

I'm still working on the 20 hearts (about half way to 3/4 done) but saw this candle mat and had to quickly do it. Well almost quickly do it. I fused it last night and now to try and perfect my button hole on it. Want to do tiny stitches this time about half as big as what I am doing with the hearts and closer together. I am thinking that it won't be a candle mat but perhaps a small wall hanging when finished.

I was dragged kicking and screaming into applique. Here is the very first thing I tried. The dresden plate. The purple hearts is my project for following along with the "hearts project".

Unfortunately, the dresden is hard to see and I have no closeups.

I was dragged kicking and screaming into applique. Here is the very first thing I tried. The dresden plate. The purple hearts is my project for following along with the "hearts project".

Yep yep yep. I'll take blame for it. Actually it could be Suz fault. (grins). I was working on the heart project in front of Connie. Those little circles in the middle of the hearts are her pins. I think this will look terrific when it is done.

Bonni asked me to post my first appliqued heart. Here it is: our hope is that it might get some others to join "the heart project".

Yep yep yep. I'll take blame for it. Actually it could be Suz fault. (grins). I was working on the heart project in front of Connie. Those little circles in the middle of the hearts are her pins. I think this will look terrific when it is done.

Bonni asked me to post my first appliqued heart. Here it is: our hope is that it might get some others to join "the heart project".

I think your heart turned out great Connie. Keep up the good work.

Blog Entries
    Oh girls I am so jealous....
    I have only been able to glance at my lonely lil sewing rm as I walk by...I work 3 part time jobs and 2 of them get busy this time of the year....{signing} I have a brand new clover iron still in the package...now thats a darn shame...

Bonni you just whipped up your candle holder....lol... I love it and thats exactly what I want to learn. I said I would never ever want to learn applique { I can relate to Connie}...that was before I saw designs likes yours.
    Connie I think your dresden plate came out very well, was your first one? also like your lil heart quilt.
    Great job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi
    I have only been able to glance at my lonely lil sewing rm as I walk by...I work 3 part time jobs and 2 of them get busy this time of the year....{signing} I have a brand new clover iron still in the package...now thats a darn shame...
    Awww. Huggs. It will still be there for you and you can rediscover it when it starts to slow down. It's great that you sign! We need more people to help out with that.

Blog Entries
    I'm still working on the 20 hearts (about half way to 3/4 done) but saw this candle mat and had to quickly do it. Well almost quickly do it. I fused it last night and now to try and perfect my button hole on it. Want to do tiny stitches this time about half as big as what I am doing with the hearts and closer together. I am thinking that it won't be a candle mat but perhaps a small wall hanging when finished.
    Beautiful!! :thumbup:

Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast