Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Blog Entries
    I just found this cool video Hand Applique Part 1 for us to learn by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDBl...eature=related

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXvMP...eature=related

I have an applique pattern that I bought several years ago. I just know someday it's going to be my masterpiece, when I become more skilled, lol! In the meantime, I use my bindings to practice making invisible stitches and turning under.
    I like the homespun look I get when I do hand blanket-stitch, so I often do that.
    My biggest issue with needle turn is getting the pieces to lie perfectly flat, with no puffy middles. I pin them flat, but once they get sewn on, they are puffy; very frustrating.

count me in! I love to applique by hand. with 2 boys under age 3 I don't get to my sewing machine much.

also, most of the shapes I sell with my business are applique shapes.

Rose Hall

Blog Entries
    I just found this cool link for us, lots to read about applique

http://www.quilt.com/HowTo/AppliqueHowToPage.html

Blog Entries
    What a great link! Thank you.

Blog Entries
    you are very very welcome, so much to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    What a great link! Thank you.

Craftybear why don't you become our fearless leader, and find something for all of us to work on.i'd love to learn neddle-turn, i already do and love banket stitch. i can do machine applique but it doesn't look very good...... i vote for craftybear......molly

I love hand applique too. I believe it is my niche. I just love the way you can do what ever you want and with whatever colours you want. I posted a wall hanging a while ago and I copied this address, but I don't know if it is the right one. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38071-1.htm
    if not I shall try and copy the photo again... I am learning so much since I have subscribed to this board. I have even learned how to download pics.... ciao to all

OMG I did it!!!!!!!!!!!! I have actually got the right address... another thing I have learned!!! yeah yeah yeah hey you are never too old to learn something new... ciao

Quote Originally Posted by sewhappy30
    I have an idea...why don't we start a project together? You know like the Farmers' Wife or Dear Jane quilts. I know it would be a lot of fun and we could all learn from doing the same project and discussing it here. Just a thought but I would definately participate.
    I love this idea. Sorry, I don't ram-rod anything. I'm an Indian, not a Chief.

I'm hoping that it's okay with 'catrancher' that I quote her work here.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64362-1.htm

When catrancher posted her first picture of this BOM, I fell in love with it. She also posted the link to the website. I registered for it and finished my first block. Just received the second one yesterday. I won't be able to work on it until next week, though. Tomorrow is the set up day for our guild's quilt show in Fort Worth. The show will go through Sunday.

These blocks are different than any applique that I have done. The pieces are cut with pinking shears. The pieces are sewed on about a fourth of an inch from the raw edge and they are kind of frayed. Definitely gives it a different look.

KathyAire I too am an Indian not a Chief.

But I sure hope we get a Chief for this project. I know it would be so helpful to do something like this as a group.
    Not to mention all the fun we would have.

I'm so excited hoping someone will organize this, I keep checking my email every 10 minutes. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sewnmom
    Craftybear why don't you become our fearless leader, and find something for all of us to work on.i'd love to learn neddle-turn, i already do and love banket stitch. i can do machine applique but it doesn't look very good...... i vote for craftybear......molly
    I second that vote!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
    That's beautiful! So you didn't fold down the edges prior, right? That's what hand-turn applique means?
    Yes, that's right, you turn under about 1/2 inch at a time usinsg your needle to turn and your thumb and finger on the other hand to lightly finger press and hold in place as you stitch it down.

Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    That's beautiful! So you didn't fold down the edges prior, right? That's what hand-turn applique means?
    Yes, that's right, you turn under about 1/2 inch at a time usinsg your needle to turn and your thumb and finger on the other hand to lightly finger press and hold in place as you stitch it down.
    I imagine it takes LOTS of practice. lol I can just imagine getting very frustrated. It's a good skill to learn though and one I absolutely plan on trying someday soon.

Banned
    I imagine it takes LOTS of practice. lol I can just imagine getting very frustrated. It's a good skill to learn though and one I absolutely plan on trying someday soon.
    Well, applique is not something that you learn in one sitting. There are always more techinques to learn,,sharp points, smooth curves, circles, narrow stems, sharp Vs and then there is deminsional, like rouching, folded rose buds, etc etc..

But it doesnt take long to learn the basic invisable stitch.. and once your fingers know how to do this, you can concentrate on the other things..

I'm in love with doing applique. I'd love to belong to an online group. 'Count me in. I've attached a pic of some of my work. 'Currently working on a Baltimore Album.
    Let me know when the group is official.
    Karen
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love the flower basket quilt, Karen. Nice work.

Karen, I love your quilt, it is beautiful. Great work.

Beautiful, Karen!

Well, applique is not something that you learn in one sitting. There are always more techinques to learn,,sharp points, smooth curves, circles, narrow stems, sharp Vs and then there is deminsional, like rouching, folded rose buds, etc etc..

But it doesnt take long to learn the basic invisable stitch.. and once your fingers know how to do this, you can concentrate on the other things..
    Are you trying to give me a heart attack? :wink: lol You gotta start somewhere, right? I'm going to work on a little applique block probably by the end of next month once I have all my swaps out of the way.

hi i love this please may i join also thank you...........

Blog Entries
    we now have a virtual board for applique, be sure to subscribe to it from the home page (thank you admin)

just go to the home page, scroll down to All User Defined Sections, find Applique and subscribe to it

this is where all of the links etc. will be posted for applique on this virtual board, so if you find something on the board that pertains to applique to be sure add it to our Virtual Board for Applique

Banned

Are you trying to give me a heart attack? :wink: lol You gotta start somewhere, right? I'm going to work on a little applique block probably by the end of next month once I have all my swaps out of the way.
    No, No, not trying to give you a heart attack, just trying to set expectations. There is ALWAYS more to learn. After many years of doing needleturn, I still learn new things. It is a lifelong love affair.

Blog Entries
    Who has done applique and teach us. If so please contact Patrice J (moderator) to set up a group activity for us and can add it to our virtual applique section.

We need to start with a beginner applique project. Come on you teachers, please please!

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast