Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

I've done some applique by hand and some by machine with invisible thread, but nothing very complicated. I've stuck with pretty simple shapes.

I would like to do the fusible with the machine buttonhole stitch, but wonder if that would hold up to lots of wear & tear if used for kids' quilts.

I'd also like to do needle turn, but haven't tried it yet.
    I enjoy handwork-find it relaxing. But by machine gets completed faster.

I just started my first applique crib quilt for my grandson who is due to arrive Dec 7 :). His parent s would like a quilt similar to the Pottery Barn airplane on a blue and blus gingham background. I have all the pieces of the design ( self drafted) cut out and on freezer paper. Next dilema is to decide how to sew them the a big white cloud. This will then be added rto top layer fabric and sandwich put together. I think I will baste the edges down and then machine stitch on or try hand stitches that are large w/embroidery thread to give the homemade effect I would love some tips on how to proceed. I was thinking of cutting the backside of the cloud part to take out the freezer paper and use it agin at a later date. The hand sketching was the toughtest part for me.

Banned
    I love needleturn applique.
    Here is my current work in progress
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's beautiful! So you didn't fold down the edges prior, right? That's what hand-turn applique means?

Blog Entries
    I really like needleturn applique too, but I have a terrible time with points. Any pointers on that?

Quote Originally Posted by JudyG
    I really like needleturn applique too, but I have a terrible time with points. Any pointers on that?
    any lessons on points on hand turned applique most welcome!! I seem to do them a different way each time and can never get them really sharp - so count me in on anything to do with applique as it is my most favourite method of sewing

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Why would applying by machine be any less "real" than applying by hand? Applique means "to apply" in French. Just as machine piecing and machine quilting are just as real as hand piecing and hand quilting, machine applique is just as real.
    It's not that it isn't 'real', it's just that, to me, the hand applique looks so much better. There is such a difference. That being said, when I do dogs, that's not something that is elegant and the raw edge applique 'fits' the project.
    I do admire the hand stuff, though.
    I've seen some pretty crappy hand applique. Just because it's hand done doesn't mean it always looks better.

I think you're dogs are wonderful! Ever so cute :)

And to me, applique is applique, only the methods are different - thank goodness - there's one out there that suits each of us :)

I'm a hand applique person. I just find it more relaxing - and portable - than machine work. I love back basting and needleturn applique.

Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    I love needleturn applique.
    Here is my current work in progress
    I love the fruit basket. That is going to be so very attractive when it's appliqued. Can't wait to see it. I can visualize it in a quilt with cross hatching quilting.

I hope everyone will show some of their work.

I'm new to appliqué, and am just learning. I've been trying out different techniques and searching for tutorials to help me. Anyone interested in me posting some of the ones I find?

I started out with a project that is like 3 pictures of flowers in vases, all separate blocks. The first one is a starter level, the second one intermediate, and the third one quite a bit harder. Then you sew all 3 together for a wall-hanging. The picture is lovely...the applique...well, I'm learning :) I'm on the second picture, and have restarted 3 times :(

In addition, I have a wall-hanging of TX with some cute stuff (hat, boots, coyote) around it that is a fusible machine appliqué. So I've got both projects going on at once (one for the TV, the other for the sewing room) and am learning and making lots of mistakes.

On the picture project, I can't seem to get flower petal edges that ripple to look nice. I've tried freezer paper/starch, needle turn, back basting and none of them are great. I don't know how to get the petal edge ripples to look good as I'm stitching them down. They seem to bulk up or get too pointy instead of being flowing curves. It's a hump, dip, hump, dip, hump on a small piece of fabric, maybe 1" wide. Then it's combined with 5 others petals with the same edging to create the flower. Any hints here, I would really appreciate...I just can't seem to get it!

Sorry to be so long-winded...I just have so much to say, and learn, on this topic :)

Have a wonderful day!
    Debbie in Austin

I have done a lot of applique, all by hand, mainly needleturn but some rough edged. I love it and find it so relaxing. I usually cut freehand but have used freezer paper.

Here's some links, since I was searching for something, I decided to post a couple of tutorials that you may like:

Back Basting Tutorial:
    http://sentimentalstitches.net/instr...hand-applique/

Points: This is the one that helped me. About 3/4 of the way down the page (date is 9/25). Also has lots of various info throughout the blog.
    http://www.allaboutapplique.net/cate...turn-applique/

Hope you folks like these :) I've bookmarked several.

Debbie in Austin

Blog Entries
    [quote=dgm

On the picture project, I can't seem to get flower petal edges that ripple to look nice. I've tried freezer paper/starch, needle turn, back basting and none of them are great. I don't know how to get the petal edge ripples to look good as I'm stitching them down. They seem to bulk up or get too pointy instead of being flowing curves. It's a hump, dip, hump, dip, hump on a small piece of fabric, maybe 1" wide. Then it's combined with 5 others petals with the same edging to create the flower. Any hints here, I would really appreciate...I just can't seem to get it!

It sounds as though you might have more than a quarter inch of fabric to turn under. A quarter inch or even an eigth of an inch is about all that you should have. Otherwise you will need to clip the curves before stitching.
    As far as points go, again there would probably be some trimming needed. A tiny perpendicular stitch in the very tip of the point helps keep it where you want it as yo tuck the edge under to stitch the other side. Do just a little at a time, a few stitches then sweep a bit more under.
    Not sure if this will help but hope it does.

My machine applique is so much faster and easier on the hands that I have done very little by hand. One of my pieces is waiting for special order fabric for the borders so it can go to the quilter. I don't hand quilt anymore either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[quote=appliqué][quote=dgm

-------------

It sounds as though you might have more than a quarter inch of fabric to turn under. A quarter inch or even an eigth of an inch is about all that you should have. Otherwise you will need to clip the curves before stitching.
    As far as points go, again there would probably be some trimming needed. A tiny perpendicular stitch in the very tip of the point helps keep it where you want it as yo tuck the edge under to stitch the other side. Do just a little at a time, a few stitches then sweep a bit more under.
    Not sure if this will help but hope it does.

My machine appliqué is so much faster and easier on the hands that I have done very little by hand. One of my pieces is waiting for special order fabric for the borders so it can go to the quilter. I don't hand quilt anymore either.[/quote]

----------------------

Thank you so much! It might be that I do have too much fabric there. I'll certainly try cutting some more away. I did try the clipping, but that resulting in fraying because I think I handled it too much trying to sweep it underneath. And it could be I clipped too much/not enough also. Those tiny, close little humps/dips will be the death of me, I'm sure! :) I do appreciate your help!

And your appliqué is awesome! What a great piece of work! That is really something to be proud of :)

Yes, this would be great. I can do the machine applique. And I am working a sort of rustic blanket stitched one by hand, but have seen the needle turned? And would like to learn how.
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I do like to applique but I do the raw edge machine applique and I don't think it's really considered appliquing. But, it works for me and that's what I will continue to do. I absolutely hate to do any hand work.
    I'm very glad that you said "I don't think it's really considered appliquing". That makes it your personal opinion. Because it IS applique. But, I'm right there next to you with hating hand work except for finishing binding. Your doggies look awesome!

I'm so glad this post was started!!! I love to hand applique but haven't done any for a long time but just recently have had the "urge" to find a project that I can work on while I'm watching TV at night.

Several of you have posted what you've done and I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we'd love to see them :)

Like so many of you, my greatest challenge has been with "points". I think my problem has been that I've been leaving too much fabric at the points and that's why they haven't been sharp. Thanks Debbie in Austin for the webs. I especially like the allaboutapplique.net because she showed how to trim the fabric a little closer to make that point sharp :)

What a terrific Board this is!!

I am new to applique', I have done a couple things by machine but nothing by hand. I would love to learn how to do this so that it looks good. I would even like to try a hand applique project just to see the difference.

I like machine applique because it is faster, although if I would try needle turn by hand I might like it better.

I have an idea...why don't we start a project together? You know like the Farmers' Wife or Dear Jane quilts. I know it would be a lot of fun and we could all learn from doing the same project and discussing it here. Just a thought but I would definately participate.

I love handappliqueing, too! I'd do machine appliqueing, but when I try it, it looks crappy!!! LOL
    One of my WIP is a wall hanging for our bedroom. The scene is mountains, with pine trees and elk. I may NEVER get it done!!!
    Another is a quilt with Sunbonnet Sue....I'll be quilting that one this winter.

I use the freezer paper method. I used to "turn" the fabric with the needle until a woman said to use the round toothpicks. I suck on one and when I need to turn the 1/4", I use the toothpick. The fabric clings to the wet wood...works wonderfully!

Quote Originally Posted by sewhappy30
    I have an idea...why don't we start a project together? You know like the Farmers' Wife or Dear Jane quilts. I know it would be a lot of fun and we could all learn from doing the same project and discussing it here. Just a thought but I would definately participate.
    I would too!

Blog Entries
    Almost all of my quilts are appliqued. I just love doing it. It makes the individual parts that are appliqued stand out and more noticable.

Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention I hand applique. Tried machine applique way back when and just was not please with the way it looked.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE applique as you can see in my avatar. raw edge and turn under both - all by hand. i can take it anywhere and can do it in my recliner with my feet up. also love to embroider. i have trouble with points too.

Blog Entries
    good idea, who wants to start up a group project for us (you will need to send Patrice J (moderator) a note to get it started

Quote Originally Posted by sewhappy30
    I am new to applique', I have done a couple things by machine but nothing by hand. I would love to learn how to do this so that it looks good. I would even like to try a hand applique project just to see the difference.

I like machine applique because it is faster, although if I would try needle turn by hand I might like it better.

Blog Entries
    has anyone tried this technique invisible applique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZovYF...eature=related

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast