Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    thanks for the information, will need to look for it at Joann's

I just did a search and found the website and the books that they publish

http://www.pieceocake.com/Books/books.html

bought "Aunt Millie's Garden" by Piece O'Cake Designs with my 40% coupon from Jo-Ann's. It's beautiful - and it's still
    unopened! There is a good chance that I bit off a little more than I can chew. (ya think???) With your help I will do it!!! Great Idea, CB. Thanks for starting this!!

Quote Originally Posted by pal
    Yes, CraftyBear, I really like this quilt. It's done using 12 blocks, like a Sampler quilt.

It's a packet containing a 15 page booklet and has individual sheets for each 14" block (back to back)and another for the appliqued border. Each applique piece is numbered. It may be a bit too ambitious for a real newbie but would be well worth the effort if you like hand work. The price is $17.95 and with the 40% off came to $10.75 + tax. Would I buy it again now that I've seen the work involved? You bet I would!

It's a bright red cardboard packet, right in with the books.
    I will probably do it in muslin. Hope this is the info that you wanted.
    This one from the above mentioned site has always been my favorite.
    My Whimsical Quilt Garden

Suz
    Ronna, who is that pretty lady with you in your side picture? Give her a hug from all of us. We all need a hug and she looks like someone I would hug often. Suz

Suz
    Ronna, sounds like your stitches need to a bit closer together. On the underside, your stitches should look like 'chicken cratchin'. And it also sounds like you are treating your handiwork a bit too roughly. Wash in your gentle/short cycle. Cannot imagine your applique was so dirty require a long/hard cycle. If your applique work is going to be washed often, I would suggest using the machine applique method. Suz

Thanks craftybear, the vvdeos on applique wwere great. I've never been an appliquer but will start to think about it.

Blog Entries
    Ronna, how about a little wider stitch with it biting into the fabric a little more, it just has to barely go into the background. If this doesn't try a little fray-check around the edge, not much, they have a nozzle that has a fine tip, that way it doesn't get hard and stiff.

Suz
    Guys and Gals, I just laid down my applique while doing a lot of little points on a flower and was reminded that these points, I don't think have been covered. When stitching the tip of a leaf, take an extra stitch at the tip. Then roll the leaf back to reveal the seam allowance you just stitched. Trim away excess fabric from this allowance to remove bulk as it is already stitched. Then go back to the point and pinch a little pleat at the tip at the seam allowance and turn under to stitch.

When it becomes to difficult to turn an edge (like at a point), tuck it in with a dampened toothpick. (I hold a pick in my mouth while stitching and use it when needed.)

Sometimes I find it necessary to exaggerate the turn under of an edge and then stroke with the tip of my needle to find or pull the edge to where I want to stitch. Clear? Hard to explain.

Suz

I just realized that I need practice with my hand stitching so thought I'd do a little practice on a Halloween wall hanging. I plan on doing hand stitching on it -- probably blanket stitch since I have problems keeping them uniform.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you Suz for sharing this information about the toothpick, I will give it a try. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
    I just realized that I need practice with my hand stitching so thought I'd do a little practice on a Halloween wall hanging. I plan on doing hand stitching on it -- probably blanket stitch since I have problems keeping them uniform.
    I finished the first star. I can see that I need to make sure to put my stitches closer to the star. I used varigated thread on it since I won't be hiding the stitches. I also think I can catch some of those "wider" stitched with a tuck in stitch. just take one stitch ti pull it in closer to the star. :)

Blog Entries
    Thank-you for the tip with the tooth pick. Did I miss a post? are we going to do a project together or we just doing our own thing?

Suz
    Bonnie, the stitch you used on the sides of the star is called a 'blanket stitch'. It is usually done with contrasting thread and is to be seen, however, you do not need to turn under the edges of the star with blanket stitch. This gives a prettier, flater edge when left raw. Even if it freys a bit when laundering, it is okay and adds to the quaintness. You can do the three stitches in the inner point of the star (or cleft of the heart) like I mentioned before to secure it. Suz

PS: Bonnie, please to not think me too critical, I just want to help you learn from my experiences and it appears you want to improve your applique experience. O O O (hugs)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz
    Bonnie, the stitch you used on the sides of the star is called a 'blanket stitch'. It is usually done with contrasting thread and is to be seen, however, you do not need to turn under the edges of the star with blanket stitch. This gives a prettier, flater edge when left raw. Even if it freys a bit when laundering, it is okay and adds to the quaintness. You can do the three stitches in the inner point of the star (or cleft of the heart) like I mentioned before to secure it. Suz

PS: Bonnie, please to not think me too critical, I just want to help you learn from my experiences and it appears you want to improve your applique experience. O O O (hugs)
    No you are not being too critical. That is the purpose of me posting. These are just cut out, not turned under or anything so they do have frayed edges. I need to work on the three stitches (and many more stitches...grins) in the corner. They NEVER come out right. You can always send your responses Suz. I appreciate them.

As for doing a project together, I thought people were going to try and do hearts. I finished my heart and posted it but hadn't seen any others so went ahead with a different one.

Suz
    I think it would be fun to make an applique wallhanging together. So, for something to think about, let us consider a heart top. I cannot post a drawing, perhaps someone can. But this is what I propose:

20 - 5" square blocks (cut 6", appliqued, pressed, squared
    to 5" - 4-1/2" finished)
    for interest, choose about 6 white or tans and mix
    them up on the top OR all the same

20 hearts - choose 5 different prints (can all be pink, or
    all pastels, mixed and different, etc.)

Print #1 - cut 1 heart
    Print #2 - cut 3 hearts
    Print #3 - cut 5 hearts
    Print #4 - cut 7 hearts
    Print #5 - cut 4 hearts OR 20 hearts total

Template - draw a heart less than the 5" square as a
    template (does not need to be symmetrical - lopsided
    is fun)

Placement: Picture a grid of 5 rows up and down AND 4 rows across.

Top row - 5 4 3 2
    2nd row - 4 5 4 3
    3rd row - 3 4 5 4
    4th row - 2 3 4 5
    5th row - 1 2 3 4

print #1 will go at the #1 position
    print #2 will go at all the #2s positions
    print #3 will go at all the #3s positions, etc.

Choose one or several methods of applique to make the blocks by hand or machine.

We will add one border only - 2" finished (cut 2-1/2 strips).
    Inside this border will be a 1/4" piping.
    Binding to match the 2" border OR cut strips from all of the heart prints, stitching pieces together at an angle. Cutting at an angle distributed bulk and looks better, therefore, no straight cuts.

Your favorite print should probably be #4 since we will use more of it.

We will go over the piping later.

The finished size will be approximately 22" x 26-1/2" (if my math is good).

WHO'S GAME? Over the next three weeks (ending, Nov. 12), let us attempt to have the hearts done, sized and sewn togther; then the piping and borders. I will instruct on the piping beforehand so those speedsters can add it and the lastly border before "SHOW AND TELL".

Good idea or bad??? Suz

Suz
    Folks, have I offended someone or some'all'? Ever since I posted a suggested project to do together, no one has posted. If I have offended, please forgive. Somehow I thought we were of one mind. Please correct me where necessary. Offense was not my objective.
    Suz

Folks, have I offended someone or some'all'? Ever since I posted a suggested project to do together, no one has posted. If I have offended, please forgive. Somehow I thought we were of one mind. Please correct me where necessary. Offense was not my objective.
    Suz
    Not offended Suz. Just busy these past days and I have to re read what you wrote. Seems like a lot of hearts to me (grins). How big is this suppose to be when finished?

Suz
    Finished size is 22 x 26. Do you want me to reduce it to 9 blocks? Suz

Finished size is 22 x 26. Do you want me to reduce it to 9 blocks? Suz
    I think it wouldn't appear to be so daunting for first timers if it was smaller. That looked like an awful lot of hearts to do if you are just starting out and/or aren't sure you even like applique. I'll keep those other dimensions though because after the holidays (perhaps for valentines day) I'll do a wall hanging.

I finished the first star. I can see that I need to make sure to put my stitches closer to the star. I used varigated thread on it since I won't be hiding the stitches. I also think I can catch some of those "wider" stitched with a tuck in stitch. just take one stitch ti pull it in closer to the star. :)
    It's finished!

Blog Entries
    Sorry, have not been ignoring you, just got back from my quilt retreat. Will try to do heart place mat, I have until the 12 of November, correct?
    Hugs, Lucinda

Bonni I love your pumpkin, Great job would like to see a close up.

Here are some close up shots. They are also showing the back since that is where you can see the stitching more. :) if you notice, the inner border is actually APPLIQUED on since I thought about it after I put the wall hanging together. :) I'm not the best at this but the overall image, etc. isn't too bad. I have a friend who wants it for xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
    Sorry, have not been ignoring you, just got back from my quilt retreat. Will try to do heart place mat, I have until the 12 of November, correct?
    Hugs, Lucinda

Bonni I love your pumpkin, Great job would like to see a close up.
    QUILTERS RETREAT!Why wasn't I invited?I live in Oregon and would have gone,huh!

Blog Entries
    No Suz didn't offend me, infact I just read your project message. I am going to try really hard to get it started but suddenly got busy doing other projects.
    Bonnie love your wall hanging, turned out really cute, nice job.

Hi, everyone!

Can I join you guys? I think I posted on this thread when it first started, but haven't been back.

I'm starting a new quilt, hand appliqued, with the needle turn method. I've tried all kinds of other ways, but the plain old needle turn under is easiest for me. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it just works better for me. I don't know why.

I love to sit in the evenings with my family watching tv, and work on some hand applique.

This is the quilt I'm starting, I LOVE it! Its like a modern Baltimore Album quilt, I think.

Here's the link:

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...-of-the-month/

Its a block of the month by Erin Russek, but she still has all the patterns up for each month. They are on block 10, but I'm just now starting. There are 12 blocks, with an additional center medallion type block.

She has already put up pics of the 2011 BOM, and its awesome, too!

LOVE applique. Use freezer method most. I'm mostly self taught but decided to take a class and I'm working on "Baltimore Christmas". Currently stitching down "Santa". I started late to this BOM and they were doing Santa FIRST! Ackk

Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123
    Hi, everyone!

Can I join you guys? I think I posted on this thread when it first started, but haven't been back.

I'm starting a new quilt, hand appliqued, with the needle turn method. I've tried all kinds of other ways, but the plain old needle turn under is easiest for me. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it just works better for me. I don't know why.

I love to sit in the evenings with my family watching tv, and work on some hand applique.

This is the quilt I'm starting, I LOVE it! Its like a modern Baltimore Album quilt, I think.

Here's the link:

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...-of-the-month/

Its a block of the month by Erin Russek, but she still has all the patterns up for each month. They are on block 10, but I'm just now starting. There are 12 blocks, with an additional center medallion type block.

She has already put up pics of the 2011 BOM, and its awesome, too!
    I love that! Thanks for sharing the link with us. Please make sure to post pictures when you get the blocks done.

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast