Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique help needed.... >

Applique help needed....

Applique help needed....

Old 03-07-2016, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by drivingsusan View Post
On my Janome 6600 I use: mode 2...#35...then I check the screen and adjust the presser foot and the tension as suggested on screen...it makes a very nice blanket stitch!!
Thank You!
Old 03-07-2016, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by drivingsusan View Post
I have the same machine and do a lot of blanket stitch applique and every once in a while I forget to check the screen to see what the presser foot setting should be and what the tension should be set at!! I get tunneling if both are not correct!
Try checking those 2 things {very very simple!!} and I will bet you have no more tunneling!!!
Thank You for responding. I should have specified that I am getting the tunneling when I try the satin stitch ( zig zag) Part of my problem may have been the cheap/thin muslin that I was practicing on. I'm still having problems when I try using the satin stitch but I have the blanket stitch under control, I think
Old 03-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Gay

Try a looser tension on both bobbin and top thread, and starch the fabric well. I have used washaway Solvy scraps dissolved in water instead of starch with good results, otherwise back the fabric with copy paper. I know there are those who won't agree, but I've never had a problem with it, and the paper comes out after soaking in water for a few hours.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieL View Post
Thank You for responding. I should have specified that I am getting the tunneling when I try the satin stitch ( zig zag) Part of my problem may have been the cheap/thin muslin that I was practicing on. I'm still having problems when I try using the satin stitch but I have the blanket stitch under control, I think
I use a heavy weight tear away with my satin stitches and often the pieces fall off as I stitch. My satin stitch is very tight and dense. I tried several pieces of freezer paper but needed more stability. Whatever works for you.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:13 AM

Would using a thin embroidery thread in the bobbin help, and loosen the top tension...just guessing
Old 03-08-2016, 05:58 AM

I use a stabilizer like heat and bond lite, iron it down and then with my normal machine do either a blanket stitch or a zig zag stitch. You have to go slow around curves. If it is ironed down I don't see how you'd get tunneling.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Thank you "DrivingSusan" for the info on the settings for blanket stitch. I greatly appreciate it and soon will be trying that way.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
I do a lot of satin stitch applique. I always iron a sheet of freezer paper to the back of my base block to stabilize it before I satin stitch. When you're finished, it tears off very easily. I know lots of people do it different ways, that's just the way I do it. Whatever you're comfortable doing is the right way for you.
I use freezer paper ironed on the back of my blocks too. Use a fairly close zig zag stitch. I did a butterfly applique and am working on a little dutch girl now. Freezer paper comes off slick as a whistle. I can't afford store bought stabilizer. I've also made 2 tee shirt quilts using freezer paper ironed on back before cutting blocks. Works fine, Try it on something just to test. You may be surprised.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:44 PM

I have used freezer paper and (depending on the shape and coverage needed) cash register tape (not the thermal stuff, the old fashioned one.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:34 PM

OMG! I haven't done applique for quite awhile. I am thinking of doing a fan, just satin stitched on cotton around the edge of the fan. Now I am scared to do anything. What in the world is tunneling? I thought I could just lay the pieced fan down on the cotton and buzz around it with a satin stitch. I better re-think this whole thing. Not tonight as I am finishing up my taxes too!