Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique help needed.... >

Applique help needed....

Applique help needed....

Old 03-07-2016, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Yes, Yes, Yes. I use it all the time. I also have used 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper. In fact the lady who taught me said you can even use coffee filters.

I must clarify - all of my machine applique is wall hangings that do not get washed.

Last edited by Boston1954; 03-07-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 AM

I took a machine appliqué class from Harriet Hargrave years ago and think you still may be able to find her book it was not hard turns out very nice we used freezer paper for template ironed on wrong side of fabric cute out 1/4 inch around pieces then used glue stick to stick to freezer tape used blind hem stitch to appleque cut small hole in the back to remove freezer paper if some was stuck to hard spritz with water and on smaller pieces I used tweezers to remove paper through the hole worked very good I also took a class from Mary Stori for another kind of appliqué where you can use a picture off fabric , fish, flower whatever lightly stuff small hole in back use a drinking straw to turn then all appliqué by hand in your wall hanging makes some great picture quilts there are so many ways to appliqué you just have to find the kind you like
Old 03-07-2016, 07:13 AM

Thank You ALL for the great tips/suggestions. This board never fails me when I have questions. It's wonderful! I think I'm gonna spend the day trying all of these different techniques and see which ones work best for me.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
machine applique is fun and fast. Maybe your tension on the bobbin is too tight.
I have the same machine and do a lot of blanket stitch applique and every once in a while I forget to check the screen to see what the presser foot setting should be and what the tension should be set at!! I get tunneling if both are not correct!
Try checking those 2 things {very very simple!!} and I will bet you have no more tunneling!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 07:31 AM

I don't have too much info on tips for applique. I have used the freezer paper to use as a template, cut out the pattern, iron freezer paper to fabric pattern and use glue stick to apply fabric to freezer paper. Then do a hand stitch to background and then remove fp. I also have a Janome 6600 and was wondering if you would share what settings you have on your machine to do blanket stitch? I have tried and I am unable to get a good result. Any info you can give me will be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:04 AM

On my Janome 6600 I use: mode 2...#35...then I check the screen and adjust the presser foot and the tension as suggested on screen...it makes a very nice blanket stitch!!
Old 03-07-2016, 12:00 PM

I use tear away stabilizer.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes. I use it all the time. I also have used 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper. In fact the lady who taught me said you can even use coffee filters.

I must clarify - all of my machine applique is wall hangings that do not get washed.
Thank You. I tried a satin stitch with the freezer paper & I like how it looks. I will be using that I think when I too make wall hangings. It's a nice clean finish.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by drivingsusan View Post
On my Janome 6600 I use: mode 2...#35...then I check the screen and adjust the presser foot and the tension as suggested on screen...it makes a very nice blanket stitch!!
Thank You. I have been playing around all day with the blanket stitches. I think I have a handle on what I'm doing now... well at least I hope so.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I don't have too much info on tips for applique. I have used the freezer paper to use as a template, cut out the pattern, iron freezer paper to fabric pattern and use glue stick to apply fabric to freezer paper. Then do a hand stitch to background and then remove fp. I also have a Janome 6600 and was wondering if you would share what settings you have on your machine to do blanket stitch? I have tried and I am unable to get a good result. Any info you can give me will be appreciated.
I'm not much help with this. I've been playing around all day with my Janome. There are 4 or 5 blanket stitches #35 - 40 (I think) mode 2. pressure foot set on 2. I'm still learning. I do want to get some heavier thread I think. I think that might look better but I'm guessing.