Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique help needed.... >

Applique help needed....

Applique help needed....

Old 03-06-2016, 05:41 PM

Default Applique help needed....

Can freezer paper be used to stabilize fabric when machine appliqueing? I used heat n bond lite to fuse my shapes to the base fabric but I get tunneling when I try to applique around the shapes. I am sewing on a 6600P Janome. It has been so long since I've tried appliqued that I am just getting flustered. Any suggestions, tips or tricks would be Greatly Appreciated.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:51 PM

I only use freezer paper for templates when I do needle turn. I think I would use a water soluable stabilizer for machine applique. I am sure someone will give you a Better answer. I haven't done much machine applique.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I think you will need to use a stabilizer, like you would use for machine embroidery. To reduce bulk, try a wash away or tear away.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:56 PM

What stitch are you using around the applique? I use soft fuse to fuse the pieces to the base fabric and a small, close machine blanket stitch. I have done a lot of quilt applique and no tunneling. I use cotton fabric and cotton thread. I have never used or needed a stabilizer. I am sorry you are having trouble. I wish I could look at your applique for a diagnosis. Perhaps you could take it to your local quilt shop or quilt guild. Please don't give up on machine applique.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

machine applique is fun and fast. Maybe your tension on the bobbin is too tight.
can you show us a picture of the problem. I wouldn't use any type of paper. it will gum up after being washed and stay in there. You don't want that.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebbieL View Post
Can freezer paper be used to stabilize fabric when machine appliqueing? I used heat n bond lite to fuse my shapes to the base fabric but I get tunneling when I try to applique around the shapes. I am sewing on a 6600P Janome. It has been so long since I've tried appliqued that I am just getting flustered. Any suggestions, tips or tricks would be Greatly Appreciated.
When doing any kind of applique, I always want to stabilize the background fabric. My favorite method is to *heavily* starch the background fabric before cutting (and I always cut over-sized in case there is some takeup of the background fabric from appliqueing). My method is to use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this onto the fabric with a wall painting brush, wait a few minutes to make sure the starch has penetrated the fabric fibers, toss the fabric into the dryer, then iron with steam. This stiffens the background fabric enough so that it does not distort when I machine applique, and the starch washes out later. I have never had a problem with tunneling when I have stabilized the background fabric this way.

If you don't want to starch, then you should use some type of stabilizer under the background fabric. Freezer paper would be one of the less attractive options because you have to remove it afterwards. This is okay if you are doing satin stitch applique, but if you are doing something like blanket stitch applique the stitching will not cut the freezer paper enough to make it easy to remove. Better options are to use a washaway stabilizer (tends to be pricey and may not provide enough stability unless you use several layers) or a lightweight stabilizer that does not need to be removed, such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/No-show-Polyme...dp/B003XDAQYG/
You would not want to use a heavyweight stabilizer as that will change the hand and drape of your block. However, lightweight stabilizers are fine.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:34 PM

I use Pellon 360 Tear-Away Paper Stabilizer for satin stitching. I get it at JAF. Full price is $2.99/yard but I always use a 50% off coupon or buy it when it's on sale for 1/2 price. The other option is a water soluble stabilizer like Sulky Solvy.

If you're thinking you want to try Freezer Paper, I would definitely try it on a scrap piece first. I've never heard of using it as stabilizer. Freezer Paper is used for turned edge applique when you're pressing the edges.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:32 AM

How about tissue paper..the kind used in gift wrapping...I've used it in a pinch and it worked for me....I don't starch prior to....
Old 03-07-2016, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

You really don't want the freezer paper to be embedded in your top. Even with English paper piecing, you do remove the paper before quilting the quilt.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:10 AM

I do a lot of satin stitch applique. I always iron a sheet of freezer paper to the back of my base block to stabilize it before I satin stitch. When you're finished, it tears off very easily. I know lots of people do it different ways, that's just the way I do it. Whatever you're comfortable doing is the right way for you.