Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Applique Pressing Sheet?

Question Applique Pressing Sheet?

I want to learn to do some applique using fusible interfacing and someone told me that I should buy a pressing sheet so my iron or mat does not get sticky when pressing.

I want to ask here 'what do you use to press your applique when using a fusible interfacing?'

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-14-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
    Sheep Farmer by day ~ Learning to Quilt by night

I bought a product made for it. But you could also do what Eleanor Burns showed, she sewed a fusible web to her piece, turned it inside out then ironed it on to the block, then she tacked it down with a zig zag stitch so it looked like needle turn.

I have read somewhere that parchment paper works as well as the Teflon applique sheet.........and i have also seen the Teflon sheets in baking supply sections of some stores..a bit cheaper than if you buy at LQS....

Power Poster
    If you are using the method where the fusible INTERFACING shape is pressed to the back of the fabric, then no pressing sheet is necessary. I think they mean using a pressing Teflon sheet when you are making fusible appliques with heat n bond light or wonder under. 2 totally different methods.

I have the Teflon applique sheet and it has lasted and lasted. It's worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
    I have the Teflon applique sheet and it has lasted and lasted. It's worth it!
    I do, too! I finally bought a new one a couple years ago, but still have my old one and use it when I want a teflon sheet over and under. The older one is probably at least 20 years old.
    Patrice S

Okay I think I understand better.
    When I was talking to that lady, I told her I had "Steam a Seam 2" to do my applique and that's when she told me I should get the pressing sheet.
    Sheep Farmer by day ~ Learning to Quilt by night

Blog Entries
    I've had a teflon pressing sheet for years. I like to build appliqué on it. Sometimes I just use a sheet of parchment paper , that works well too.
    There is a difference between an ( interfacing) and paper back fusible used for appliqué. They are two very different products. I do a lot of appliqué and usually use heat n bond lite, sometimes steam a seam 2. Wonder under and misty fuse are also popular available brands.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I have a teflon one. it's brown. not see through. I also got a slightly clear one that I can see through when placing applique pieces to a pattern beneath it. The teflon one i roll up to store. i keep the white slightly clear one in the packing it came in. I seem to remember a girl on the cover. or a doll.

I've got a teflon sheet, but find I use parchment paper more than I use the teflon! Just as good, and much cheaper

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast