Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Auto thread cutter >

Auto thread cutter

Auto thread cutter

Old 06-15-2014, 06:00 AM

Good question. I've enjoyed reading the posts.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Banned

Personally, I like have the thread cutter for some things... Like when I'm making some objects that have darts (doing this little bowl project right now - 8 darts in each of them) ...so it's nice being able to just hit the button to cut the thread.

But for most sewing (and I do alot of bags alongside piecing and quilting) ... I like using the leaders & enders ... it's less thread and no "micro nests" happen at the beginning of the next run of stitching.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:39 AM

I have the Sapphire 960Q and it has the thread cutter and yes it knots and cuts. You can chose to have it take a few stitches in place before you start sewing and I never have to hold the threads. You can also turn this feature off. It's called Fix. I love it.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:02 PM

It is like so many conveniences, you live a happy and productive life before you have it and then after wonder how you got along without it. I just got a new machine (Janome 8900) that has it. I actually use it quite a bit especially in piecing. It does not tie off the threads but in piecing you are going to secure the seam with a cross seam along the way so tying isn't really necessary. I occasionally get a small nest when starting but nothing so great that it compromises the seam. If you are going to pull threads out the back to hold when starting a new seam then you might just as well use scissors to cut the thread long enough to hold again. With the thread cutter the end of the thread left on the bobbin end is barely long enough to come up to the top and the thread end isn't much longer. I do like it but it would not be a make or break option for me on a machine.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:22 PM

I have auto cut on my Janome 7700, Juki 400, and 2 Brothers (PC420 and 1500). It's not on my Bernina Artista 630E.
I personally didn't realize how much I like it until I'm sewing on my Bernina..go to push the cut button..Oops! it's not there..lol
I do have to either backstitch a bit or on my Janome hit the "tack" stitch button at the start and stop of seams.
The only machine I have that doesn't "chew up" fabrics at the start of a seam is my Juki. My Janome won't either, IF I have it in "DS1" mode (where the needle hole is closed to just the small single hole).

But the main feature I find I really have gotten spoiled to is the knee lift for the presser foot.
It's comical when I'm sewing with my Featherweight or my Singer 66 and I push my leg outwards...to empty air!
K
Old 06-15-2014, 01:50 PM

I have the auto cutter on my Pfaff. I don't really like it. It's ok for the part just sewed, but when I start up again, the needle always unthreads because it cut it too short. I have never seen any adjustment for this.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
I have the auto cutter on my Pfaff. I don't really like it. It's ok for the part just sewed, but when I start up again, the needle always unthreads because it cut it too short. I have never seen any adjustment for this.
I have a BL and have this same situation.....so I am back to L&Es, which is fine with me, like working on two quilts at the same time.....
Old 06-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your advice, I've came to the conclusion that if I use the thread cutter (when I get a new machine) I'll still be using at least a starter & maybe an ender & just skip the cutter. I'm gathering all the information on the new machines to help decide what I really want or just think I need. This has really helped with the thread cutter question, now on to the next. Thanks again I knew I could count on you all
Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 PM

I have a Brother with the thread cutting button. The biggest problem I have is that if the spool of thread I'm using is relatively full, it will sometimes unthread my needle when I start to stitch my next piece. Once the spool is at least half empty, it doesn't happen as often. I've learned that I don't like to use the thread cutter when I'm quilting something and the backside will show. Even though there is barely a 1/2" bottom thread after being cut, it will usually create a mini bird's nest on the bottom of my quilt.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:37 AM

My workhorse, New Home has the cutter on the side. It does get tiresome reaching for around-my-neck scissors to cut (I hate long strings). I found that it wasn't cutting, so I unscrewed it & it was stopped up! My other machine, Brother 270D does have the auto cutter & I LOVE it. My dream is to upgrade to another Brother!