Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Auto thread cutter >

Auto thread cutter

Auto thread cutter

Old 06-14-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Auto thread cutter

I don't have a machine yet with this feature, my questions are does it tie off before it cuts the threads and do I need to hold the threads when I start sewing on something else, so far I've been holding the thread when I start so the fabric doesn't get eaten or I use leaders & enders. Or will it just start sewing without having to hold the treads or use L& E's? Thanks in advance for all the great answers I'll get from you awesome ladies & gentlemen of the famous Quilting Board.
Jeri
Old 06-14-2014, 06:32 PM

I have the cutter on my Brother Innovis 4000D. I have to hit the button for it to cut if I am doing regular piecing or sewing. If I am in embroidery mode, it will automatically cut the jump stitches if the design has been digitized to use the auto cut function.

Mine only cuts the threads. If you want to backstitch you have to do it manually or use a machine stitch that includes the backstitch. I have to use leaders or hold the threads or my machine will eat some materials. It especially munches on very soft materials. I do have a single needle plate but don't use it because I use the inside of one of the feet as my quarter inch stitch guide. I have to move my needle to use the foot.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:35 PM

Hi Jeri. My machine has a thread cutter. No it doesn't tie of, just cuts the threads. If you want it secured you need to either back stitch a few stitches or use a preset stitch that does this automatically. Whether you have this function or not, it's a very good habit to use a scrap leader, just a doubled square of fabric to start off your stitching. You avoid the machine eating your work. It becomes second nature very quickly. Hope this helps, cheers!!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:04 AM

I have a Babylock and a Brother who both have this feature. I do not have to use a leader/ender to begin sewing again. It does not "eat" the fabric, nor does it leave a "nest" (like my Bernina). It's amazing and I love it! It's hard to go back to sewing on a machine that doesn't have a cutter.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:55 AM

I have a Pfaff QE4.0 and it can be programmed to tie and cut or I can just cut. I can also programme it to tie at the beginning if I want.

I mostly use my straight stitch plate so it doesn't 'eat' the fabric - the annoying drawback of the modern wider stitch machines.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 AM

My babylock Serenade has a thread cutter, and it only cuts the threads, leaving about a quarter inch of thread tails. When you begin sewing again you can't hold those short threads, so it's good to use a "spider" scrap to start sewing on, as it will usually make a tiny thread nest with those tails. There is a knot feature on the machine where it takes a few stitches in the same place, but sometimes when I've used that and tested it by pulling on it, it pulls right out, so I never use that feature. The thread cutter has it's place, but I don't use it when chain piecing, of course. Also, my machine is fussy about which threads work best with the thread cutter. For instance, Gutterman works great (as do many other brands), but if I use it with Star brand thread (and a few others), the cut thread will whip out of the needle, and sometimes disappear inside the machine, and I have to fish it out and rethread. Not a time saver! I know other machines are fussy about threads when using the thread cutter. All in all, it's not as great a feature as I thought it would be, but I'm still happy to have and use it sometimes.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:59 AM

I have 2 Babylocks and a Janome, all with thread cutters. I don't use them all of the time because none of them "tie" the threads when cut, and they all leave thread nests on the underside when I start a new line of stitching. I should get in the habit of using leaders I guess. I agree with JustABitCrazy - the auto thread cutter is not something that I am especially excited about anymore.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I tried my friend's Janome 6600 and I kept lifting the foot before pressing the auto thread cut which isn't the way it is suppose to be. I am too old of a dog to learn any new tricks now. I am happy piecing on my Bernina 1530 with leaders & enders that will when used up eventually be the filling for a dog or cat bed. Life can't get much better than that.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:12 AM

A few years ago I bought a used Pfaff Grand Quilter that has the thread cutter, which I didn't know I wanted on a machine. It's the one feature I could not live without should I buy another machine. I don't used leaders and enders, it cuts the threads without tying, and begins sewing as soon as I push the pedal. No chewing of fabric, no skipping of stitches... truly amazing and makes piecing so much faster. A great innovation.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:53 AM

Yeah, just cuts, no knotting. My machine does have a 'knot' button, but I almost never use it.

I do get a "nest" every now and then, but not too bad. Usually I chain piece and use a leader anyway.