Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Auto thread cutter >

Auto thread cutter

Auto thread cutter

Old 06-17-2014, 05:11 AM

I did have the Viking Ruby and now have the Viking Diamond Deluxe, when I use the thread cutter it ties off too. I can also do the fix button which gives it a stronger tie off, or two. But I love the thread cutter and I never have to use leaders even when using my zigzag presser plate with the wider hole. another trick that I saw was those who put a piece of fusible web or stabilizer under the beginning of the fabric and hold onto the end as it starts. Its a good way to use up those left over pieces you have.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 AM

I use the thread cutter all the time - A few of the posts above noted that your machine unthreads when you use your cutter. Mine did the same thing (on my Babylock) and someone on this board told me that it could be fixed. She was able to take care of it over the phone with her service person, but I took mine in and they indeed were able to take care of it. I personally just don't worry about the little nests most of the time.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:22 AM

My Janome 6600 has a thread cutter that I wouldn't be without. My machine rarely, if ever, eats fabric. The nests are too small to be a problem. The thread is never cut so short that it unthreads from the needle. And, there is a stitch option that will put a few "in place" stitches at the start and finish if you choose. I really miss the cutter when I'm working with my little Janome Jem that doesn't have that feature.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 AM

I have a Brother 1500 with a thread cutter. No nests, no leaders and enders and no unthreading. I guess I'm a lucky girl.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a Bernina and I can have it tie before cutting, if I program it. I don't get any nests at all. It's a dream machine for me. I have a Singer 401 Slant O Matic and a Viking Huskavarna and they don't cut. My Bernina is in getting it's tune up, but I don't like sewing on anything but it, so I am not sewing now. My Bernina is my baby and I'm waiting for her.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:42 PM

I should've said that I don't use the auto thread cut when I'm doing the actual quilting, because I need to have long enough thread "tails" to invisibly bury them.
However, I do love the auto cut for piecing.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:11 PM

i never had that function on my old machine, but do on the janome 1500 QP i bought a few years ago. love the feature when fmq, do backstitch then cut. i pull the threads to top of quilt before restarting. w piecing i chain piece. even w only one block. i like complex blocks .. so i organize thier piecing order to utilize chain piecing. i read some articles about when to change the knives in the cutter. ok ...no more using cutter except when doing fmq -- which is seldom. i don't need to incur any more expenses than necessary ...cuts into my fabric budget . i don't get the time to make a lot of quilts, plus, i enjoy hand quilting too, so my cutter knives will last forever. ? right ?