Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are baby quilts still in fashi >

Are baby quilts still in fashi

Are baby quilts still in fashi

Old 12-29-2015, 08:36 AM

Default Are baby quilts still in fashi

My first great grand baby is due in February. My first thought was to make a baby quilt, but now crib quilts are discouraged as unsafe and by the time baby girl is old enough to be taken out, it will be too warm to wrap in a quilt in her climate. I know they use small quilts as a baby carrier cover, but don't know the size. I have thought maybe a quilt would be more appreciated and useful when she is a toddler. Great grandma wants to be with the times. Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

You could make one for when she is placed on the floor. We still make them for charity.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:09 AM

My daughter loved using quilts on the floor for both of her babies. I made them full quilt size so they could be on them with toys until they started crawling. If I was to make another I would do black and white figures on one side as that is all babies can see for a while. After they got older she used it on top of the rug in their playroom for extra cushioning. You're a very thoughtful great grandma! Enjoy!
Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 AM

I make lots of baby quilts on request. If not used in the crib I guess the baby is wrapped in it while being held or laying on the quilt on the floor. I make them a little oversized so they will be used for quite a while.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:39 AM

I still make baby quilts... but that doesn't mean that I am up on the latest trend. Like others have said little babies need a blankie to lay on the floor. I like to make them a little on the bigger than crib size so that when the baby grows they won't outgrow the quilt
Old 12-29-2015, 10:06 AM

I make many of mine lap size. They can be used as floor quilt an later on, I hope they'll be used as drag-around qults for toddlers.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 AM

IMO baby quilts will never go out of fashion. Nor will handmade gifts. A few months ago I sent non-matching quilts to twins born to a great-niece (or is it grandniece?). She sent a very warm thank-you note even tho she thanked me for the "blankets". We saw her family on Christmas and even before she said hello or Merry Christmas she thanked me again for the blankets and said they were just beautiful. You all know how good that makes you feel. Here's a solution - make one for now and a little larger one for when she's a toddler. And congratulations in advance on becoming a great-grandmother.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:19 AM

I do not think baby quilts, blankets or afghans will ever go out of style.

I live in a rain forest climate and in the winter we get lots of rain, plus the ground can be damp, except during the dry summer.

I made a blanket (not a quilt) for a friend who teaches stroller fit classes to new mums. I used minkee on one side and pul (Babyville waterproof diaper cover) on the other. It was warm, waterproof, and can be used on the ground on warm days.

Baby will need a covering for the car seat, stroller, even as an extra covering when in a baby carrier. As well as when held, for floor play etc.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:24 AM

They are also very good to put on the floor when visiting homes with pets or where outdoor shoes are worn, or hardwood floors that could be cold. And at home for "tummy time" One for grandmothers house when the bay visits is also nice, especially I her taste is different from moms.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:29 PM

A little off the topic but I think the quilted covers (sorry I don't know the correct term for it) that are put in shopping cart seats would be a useful thing to make too.