Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are baby quilts still in fashi >

Are baby quilts still in fashi

Are baby quilts still in fashi

Old 12-30-2015, 04:32 AM

Baby quilts are not just for in the crib. They're used for tummy time, just to wrap around on a blustery day, cuddling, covering up any time when not in a crib, as a wall hanging, etc. I don't think they will ever be obsolete. I personally think it's an over reaction to not use quilts in a crib. Just my opinion. Congrats on your expected 1st grandchild!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:33 AM

Many people I gift baby quilts to use them for tummy time! The mom's have always been grateful to me. I am starting two this week. So in our area....they are still in style!!!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Grandma View Post
Just finished a crib size for great grandson. Mom loves it for the floor or cover up for nursing.
Wonder sometimes how my children survived - blankets, bumper pads and pillows in the crib. Not to mention toys.
......and the car seat in the front between he and me! And, let them get grimmy by playing in the dirt once in awhile .....tsk, tsk....

Last edited by Geri B; 12-30-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:08 AM

Yes, quilts are still used. The quilt in the crib or anything else can end when the child can regularly roll over front to back and back to front. But mom's, dad's, aunties and so on love to snuggle a child in a blanket while they rock them, dash them from home to car and back again. Make the quilt. Even if it is not used until the child is a year old, you have given of your talent, creativity, time and love to make a special warm covering for your great grandchild. Bless them with your gifts.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
A little off the topic but I think the quilted covers (sorry I don't know the correct term for it) that are put in shopping cart seats would be a useful thing to make too.
Yes, what are these called? I would love to find a pattern. Lately I saw a mom spread one of those on a high chair in a restaurant.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:30 AM

I've only made a few baby quilts. The first was rather small; the other two large enough to put on the floor for tummy time or play time as the child grows. I like the larger ones best. I envision the child playing with toys and at times the parents can sit along the edge of the quilt to play with the child.

Here is a picture of the last one I made (which some of you gave advice on and may have seen). Not only is it a "play" quilt but they can learn their letters and animals as they grow.
Attached Thumbnails abc-quilt-front.jpg  
Old 12-30-2015, 06:29 AM

Not for an infant but for a granddaughter. One to use and one for display(to keep), that is the one with the extras, embroidery, hand quilted etc.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:00 AM

I made several shopping cart covers for my grands, that's what they are called and JoAnn's had the pattern, don't remember what pattern company has them. I also made crib quilts and my DIL used them in the cribs. I often wonder with all the new safety "rules" how I made it to be alive today and so are my kids.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:38 AM

Crib quilts are unsafe? Why? I can understand this if they are crib size, but I have always used a quilt that only covers the baby. I don't care if the mattress is warm or not, just my precious child. Curious minds need to know?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Crib quilts are unsafe? Why? I can understand this if they are crib size, but I have always used a quilt that only covers the baby. I don't care if the mattress is warm or not, just my precious child. Curious minds need to know?
It's not the quilts that are unsafe. It's recommended that nothing=no toys blankets etc be in the crib with baby. It reduces the risk of SIDS. Babies wear sleep sacks instead of being covered with blankets as we did with ours. Some people have taken this to mean "NOquilts"at all. Quilts have many uses besides covering a baby in bed as you can see in responses. And babies don't stay tiny forever. At some point they will use a covering to sleep under.