Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are baby quilts still in fashi >

Are baby quilts still in fashi

Are baby quilts still in fashi

Old 12-29-2015, 02:47 PM

quilts are useful for others reasons besides a bedcover(nothing but the baby should be in a crib). My DD has a stack to be used as a floor covering for tummy time, a cover-up for nursing or just to lay across baby in the swing or carseat. My DIL has 2-3 at a time in my 2yo GS's toddler bed. He usually cuddles one while covering up with another
Old 12-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Make a lap or toddler sized quilt 50x60 inches, to be used on the floor when the baby is very small, to be used on her toddler bed and then later as a lap quilt on the couch.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:08 PM

I call them tummy time quilts. I also make smaller ones for diaper time quilts. So many times when visiting friends the only place to change them is on the floor or bed.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

I would go ahead and make the one you want and let the parents decide. I had baby quilts for my 2 boys and even the bumper pads. I also made sure my boys had room to breathe.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:22 PM

I don't think they're going out of style....at Christmas I found out my cousin is expecting a daughter in April; his wife made sure to mention that they'd "really treasure a handmade baby quilt" if someone "happened" to give one to them. She even made sure I knew what their nursery colors would be. (And of COURSE I'm going to make one, or two...) They're a young couple (mid 20's) so if they're wanting a baby quilt I don't think they're going out of style.

I made baby quilts for my niece and nephew too, they're 10 and 14 now and my sister still has their "blankies". Not very well made since I had no idea what I was doing at the time but they're still (mostly) intact and got lots of use.

I think giving handmade baby blankets is one of those traditions that is going to stick around for a very long time.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:56 PM

Just finished a crib size for great grandson. Mom loves it for the floor or cover up for nursing.
Wonder sometimes how my children survived - blankets, bumper pads and pillows in the crib. Not to mention toys.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:37 PM

I make mine closer to lap size as well for al the reasons others have stated...tummy time, strllers/carrier covers, dragging, etc.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 PM

We make these little "chew" blankets at the quilt shop where I work. They're 30" square, cotton on one side, and Minky on the other, with no batting. Then you quilt them -- usually just diagonal lines, every 4th row of bumps on the Minky. And add a binding. Those are just right for drag around blankies.

Receiving blankets are 36" square for newborn, and 45" square for older babies.

Or you could make a knit or double-gauze swaddling blanket. The new moms love those, and they are usually 36" to 45" square.

Wrap-up quilts are usually about 42" square; or 42" X 54" if you want something bigger; or 42" X 60" for a crib or toddler quilt.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:51 AM

Me too! and thoses car seats that hung over the front seat while the older toddlers argued over who got to stand on the hump. Grateful all three of mine made it to adulthood!
Originally Posted by Quilting Grandma View Post
Just finished a crib size for great grandson. Mom loves it for the floor or cover up for nursing.
Wonder sometimes how my children survived - blankets, bumper pads and pillows in the crib. Not to mention toys.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:19 AM

I made at least 6 baby quilts this past year... I think they will always be a welcomed gift... and despite what is trending in baby news... every parent is different to the safety tales.

I thought my new DIL was going to be over protective as a new mother, but she is very laid back. My grandson Finnigan received two quilts from his Nana and uses them both. I made one for his crib in grays and yellows and a larger one for the floor in ocean creatures as his dad is in the Coast Guard.