Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting pins >

Basting pins

Basting pins

Old 08-01-2014, 10:53 AM

I use Sharon Schambers basting method. it take a bit more time but is more accurate AND it can lay around for some time with no shifting. She has videos of how to do it. I hate pins and gave them up and went back to thread basting. There are 2 videos that show.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA This is my preferred method.

If you must use pins. here's a help too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnke_KzeTI8
Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Initially, I started using the 1" quilting pins, which I purchased from my quilt shop and JoAnn's. I was ordering online several years ago and wanted to order more pins (I tend to lose a few or ten every time I pin baste for some reason) and I asked the woman on the phone if curved pins were better than the other pins. She assured me that the curved pins definitely make it easier to pin baste quilts, so I gave them a try. They made the pinning process so much easier that when I buy more pins I always buy the curved 1" quilting pins and I also use the Kwik-Klip that is awesome for closing the pins, which is a necessary tool to have when quilting, even my DH will always use the Kwik-Klip when he helps me pin baste quilts. I have read lots of praise for using Elmer's school glue and I'm looking forward to trying that as it looks much easier to me. Also I saw on a Sewing with Nancy segment where she used a roll of fusible tape, placed the tape on the quilt, backing and batting, then pressed briefly with an iron - the toughest part being taking the paper tape off, but it also sounds like a good, quick way to baste quilts. I'm going to give both a try very soon.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:15 PM

I use the curved safety pins all the time, they are much easier to use. I've been using them for years.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:34 PM

I use regular safety pins and a soup spoon to open and close them. Works great and no need for specialty pins. Works for me.