Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: begginer with stupid question lol

I am just starting to sew my first quilt. The pattern instructions say to subcut a few things. I have no idea what subcut means. Please help...lol What does it mean to subcut something.
    ex: cut 4 strips 2 1/2" x WOF. Subcut 2 -2 1/2"x36" strips. Thanks!!!

Let me help!
    If you look at the sub cuts you'll see they are 2 1/2 inches wide and shorter than the original WOF cuts (Width of fabric is wof)

You cut the first cuts into the sizes in the subcut section

Blog Entries
    No question here is stupid. The people here have helped me learn so much.
    I believe it means to cut the first strips. Then recut them to the "subcut" measurements.
    The last one I cut said cut 6 - 2 1/2 inch x wof strips. Then sub cut those strips into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    Let me help!
    If you look at the sub cuts you'll see they are 2 1/2 inches wide and shorter than the original WOF cuts (Width of fabric is wof)

You cut the first cuts into the sizes in the subcut section
    Thanks for trying to help. But we need to pretend that I am dumb and dont understand :lol: . I am very new to sewing let alone quilting. When you say look at the sub cuts...what am I looking at? The word subcut is not in my internal dictionary lol. In lay mans term what is subcut. Sorry if I am making this difficult. :roll: I am just so new too the sewing/quilting terms. Thanks again!!!

I have never heard the term subcut on any block or pattern I have made. I would assume it wants you cut your WOF into smaller pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    I believe it means to cut the first strips. Then recut them to the "subcut" measurements.
    The last one I cut said cut 6 - 2 1/2 inch x wof strips. Then sub cut those strips into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces.
    Ah I see. So it just means to cut my previous cuts. That makes total sence to me. I am so happy I found this forum and I plan on coming back with more questions :wink: Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by my65roses
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    Ah I see. So it just means to cut my previous cuts. That makes total sence to me. I am so happy I found this forum and I plan on coming back with more questions :wink: Thanks
    Exactly

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Don't feel bad...I thought a sub cut was when I shared a submarine sandwich :D :D :D

I have come across quite a few patterns that tell you to sub cut.

Ask away...nothing is dumb or stupid. We all learn every day....

Blog Entries
    Sub-cut is like sub-divide. You make an initial cut (in this case a strip at a given width) and then you cut this strip into a certain number of pieces at given width.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast