Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: begginer with stupid question lol

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    I am just starting to sew my first quilt. The pattern instructions say to subcut a few things. I have no idea what subcut means. Please help...lol What does it mean to subcut something.
    ex: cut 4 strips 2 1/2" x WOF. Subcut 2 -2 1/2"x36" strips. Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Super Member Mamagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    1,692
    Let me help!
    If you look at the sub cuts you'll see they are 2 1/2 inches wide and shorter than the original WOF cuts (Width of fabric is wof)

    You cut the first cuts into the sizes in the subcut section

  3. #3
    Super Member mcdaniel023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,396
    Blog Entries
    3
    No question here is stupid. The people here have helped me learn so much.
    I believe it means to cut the first strips. Then recut them to the "subcut" measurements.
    The last one I cut said cut 6 - 2 1/2 inch x wof strips. Then sub cut those strips into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    Let me help!
    If you look at the sub cuts you'll see they are 2 1/2 inches wide and shorter than the original WOF cuts (Width of fabric is wof)

    You cut the first cuts into the sizes in the subcut section
    Thanks for trying to help. But we need to pretend that I am dumb and dont understand :lol: . I am very new to sewing let alone quilting. When you say look at the sub cuts...what am I looking at? The word subcut is not in my internal dictionary lol. In lay mans term what is subcut. Sorry if I am making this difficult. :roll: I am just so new too the sewing/quilting terms. Thanks again!!!

  5. #5
    Super Member beachlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,755
    I have never heard the term subcut on any block or pattern I have made. I would assume it wants you cut your WOF into smaller pieces.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    No question here is stupid. The people here have helped me learn so much.
    I believe it means to cut the first strips. Then recut them to the "subcut" measurements.
    The last one I cut said cut 6 - 2 1/2 inch x wof strips. Then sub cut those strips into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces.
    Ah I see. So it just means to cut my previous cuts. That makes total sence to me. I am so happy I found this forum and I plan on coming back with more questions :wink: Thanks

  7. #7
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,484
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by my65roses
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    No question here is stupid. The people here have helped me learn so much.
    I believe it means to cut the first strips. Then recut them to the "subcut" measurements.
    The last one I cut said cut 6 - 2 1/2 inch x wof strips. Then sub cut those strips into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces.
    Ah I see. So it just means to cut my previous cuts. That makes total sence to me. I am so happy I found this forum and I plan on coming back with more questions :wink: Thanks
    Exactly

    :thumbup:

  8. #8
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,113
    Blog Entries
    1
    Don't feel bad...I thought a sub cut was when I shared a submarine sandwich :D :D :D

  9. #9
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,760
    I have come across quite a few patterns that tell you to sub cut.

    Ask away...nothing is dumb or stupid. We all learn every day....

  10. #10
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    12,879
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sub-cut is like sub-divide. You make an initial cut (in this case a strip at a given width) and then you cut this strip into a certain number of pieces at given width.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.