Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner Project Suggestions >

Beginner Project Suggestions

Beginner Project Suggestions

Old 11-30-2016, 02:05 PM

Default Beginner Project Suggestions

I've outfitted my space with lots of goodies and I'm ready to take on my first project. I have several books from the library for ideas but it always helps to ask the experts.

I prefer simple patterns but I'm uncertain what they're called. Here's a couple of examples: 1 and 2.

I think a table runner and lap quilt would be ideal beginnings. But a larger quilt is my long term goal.

I'd appreciate first timer advice. The sort of things you wish you knew starting out. And if there's specifics regarding fabric or projects, please feel free to share. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2016, 02:34 PM

So happy to hear that another person is starting this wonderful hobby of quilting. When I started-I took a 6 wk class at a local quilt shop. They helped me with fabric colors and some good tips. This was a different block every week and the classes taught me a lot. After that I read and researched and bought quilt books to study and as time goes on it gets better and better. So I might suggest you take a couple of classes (if possible) at a local quilt shop. You can also learn a lot from joining a quilt guild. So many quilters are very willing to help and suggest different processes. Good luck and I am sure you will be hooked on quilting soon. This board has wonderful and helpful members that will go out of their way to help you.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:45 PM

Hi Sarah, Both your examples are gorgeous. You don't mention if you have previous general sewing experience. Example 2 has curved seams. They could be tricky for a new sewer, and are also time-consuming.

I started out with table runners to build up my confidence and to see the finished result quickly. But that's me.

As far as general advice is concerned, precise measuring is of utmost importance, as is the 1/4 in. seam!

I'm sure you'll get lots of good information from other quilters on this site.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted!
Old 11-30-2016, 02:46 PM

I agree with Jordan. I'm a wearable artist who is getting into quilting. I've been piecing for year for my wearables and the quilt classes I took at my local quilt store have been invaluable to me. While the ladies here are very helpful, having hands on help in a class is the best. Plus you will have real life people to contact for help and inspiration.

Joining a guild is also good. I get lots of inspiration from seeing what others are working on. Plus many guilds have workshops you can attend.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:51 PM

I took a class for a table runner & then bought fabric for an over sized queen quilt!
The pattern was Yellow Brick Road. To this day, I don't think the cutting directions are all that clear for a beginner, but I sure learned a lot & love the quilt! I also quilted it on my Brother - I just rolled it & rolled it to fit thru the throat doing many rows of waves. There are many patterns where you don't have to match seams & those are good for beginners. Classes are fun & most LQS's offer them. Missouri Star Quilt Company has many tutorials on UTube & Jenny is delightful! This board is outstanding for ideas & help. You have yourself a great time sewing!
Old 11-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Warm Wishes is a nice easy pattern. Large blocks of a focus fabric and second square blocks are made of 3 strips of fabric.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

If at all possible, I always recommend taking a beginner's class at a local quilt shop, school or church. This will teach you proper ways for cutting, pressing and sewing a 1/4" seam. All are important for a successful project. The added benefit is that you will have an instructor to ask if you get stuck. I had an extensive sewing background and am glad that I took the class. I don't want to discourage you, but the 2 patterns you refer to in your post may present a challenge. The triangles will all have bias edges and may pull out of shape with handling. Also, her instruction to let the tips overhang and 'equal amount' is good, but I made a similar pattern and had a difficult time keeping them aligned. The other pattern has curved piecing, and the curve is quite tight, which may cause difficulties. You may want to look at a pattern based on squares for a first go. If you do want to go forward with one of your example quilts, I would go with the triangles. Starch the fabric well to avoid stretching the bias, and only cut a few pieces then sew to see how it goes before cutting all your fabric.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:08 PM

Thank you Jordan.

We have a few quilt shops here and I'll check them out. I also have access to Craftsy courses and have learned quite a lot that way. Though my preference is for in-person instruction. I'll double check the quilt guild. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:10 PM

I agree with Jordan and cashs_mom. I started with a six week beginner class at a quilt shop and it was the best thing I could have done. I hope you will take this advice. If you aren't able to do that for some reason, the next best thing would be a good book on beginner quilting. These are available on Amazon or your local library can help you find one. Although the pictures you shared are very cute, modern looking quilts, imho, they would both be more for an experienced quilter. Triangles as pictured and circles can be kind of tricky to work with. Maybe you could do them just fine, but I would hate to see you get discouraged by a difficult pattern.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Drew View Post
Hi Sarah, Both your examples are gorgeous. You don't mention if you have previous general sewing experience. Example 2 has curved seams. They could be tricky for a new sewer, and are also time-consuming.

I started out with table runners to build up my confidence and to see the finished result quickly. But that's me.
Thanks Patricia. That's one of the reasons I posed the question. I didn't notice the curved seams and the time investment. I think the other is a more feasible option for a first quilt. Block squares are also appealing. I don't mind a project that takes awhile but smaller investments will build my confidence as you've mentioned.