Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting? >

Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting?

Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting?

Old 08-28-2015, 06:50 PM

I have tried this, but squeezing the bottle really hurts my hands. Its fine at first, but not too far in the process I have to stop. Does anyone else have this problem? If you do what do you do?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I have tried this, but squeezing the bottle really hurts my hands. Its fine at first, but not too far in the process I have to stop. Does anyone else have this problem? If you do what do you do?
if you can do some squeezing, why not do some, take a break, do a little more, etc. Or once your hands start to hurt does it take too long to stop hurting? Some people paint it on. I hope you can find a way to use it. I won't go back to pin or thread basting.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Power Poster

Someone on here posted that they dilute the glue with some water and then use a sponge brush to apply the diluted glue. I think someone also mentioned using a small sponge roller. These tools are inexpensive and widely available in the paint area of big box stores and hardware stores.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Power Poster

Someone on here posted that they dilute the glue with some water and then use a sponge brush to apply the diluted glue. I think someone also mentioned using a small sponge roller. These tools are inexpensive and widely available in the paint area of big box stores and hardware stores.

Edit: I meant this to be in response to meyert and the problem with squeezing the glue bottle.

And I have no idea how I got this posted twice.

And here's a link to the type of sponge brushes I am talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Value-Pack-10-...dp/B003UHJDAS/

Last edited by Prism99; 08-28-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:05 AM

Thanks everyone!
I tried it yesterday evening. Will see how it works out for quilting on my featherweight next week.

Here's what I did. I diluted the glue 1/2 & 1/2 with water. My sprayer wouldn't cooperate do I just spread it on by hand. Went fairly quickly. Had a bit of difficulty with my table being so small (4 ft camping table) but don't think it will matter in the long run. Got the center portion well smoothed out and hopefully securely held together. Will determine Monday whether the perimeter needs to be glued more.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:58 AM

I Love glue! I don't have the Roxanne's Glue Baste bottle, but refilled it with Elmer's Washable. I did it because the Elmer's is cheaper and easier to find, but I really like working with it more than the Roxanne's. It's smoother and is easier to pull apart when I have to rip seams (I use glue instead of pins for piecing).

When basting, I don't dilute (but I'm using the skinny Roxanne tip) and I just drizzle the glue on the batting and smooth the quilt top over it. I press it to make the glue set quickly. And it has never hurt my machine - i don't get any gumminess on the needle and I never see traces of glue anywhere. And I use glue a lot. Love glue.

Did I mention I love glue?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-30-2018 at 01:30 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-29-2015, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post

Edit: I meant this to be in response to meyert and the problem with squeezing the glue bottle.

And I have no idea how I got this posted twice.

And here's a link to the type of sponge brushes I am talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Value-Pack-10-...dp/B003UHJDAS/
oh, that's a good idea!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Here's what I did. I diluted the glue 1/2 & 1/2 with water.
I don't know if the 1/2 ratio of water will work. That may hinder the holding. Be sure and post how it worked.

Using liquid glue seems to be a lot of work.....
Easiest way I've ever found to baste so far.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:31 AM

BTW Roxanne's glue is Elmers. After they sold this part of their business, they let the cat out of the bag....
Old 08-29-2015, 07:02 AM

I won't baste any other way! I do thin down the glue a bit (roughly less than 1 part water to 3 parts glue) and drizzle it on in a zig zag fashion on the quilt bat and then smooth the back over it. Let it dry, flip it over and repeat for the front. You don't need glue everywhere anymore than you would pin everywhere. I don't iron it but let it dry several hours or overnight. I also do it in sections because I can only reach so far and it is easier to pull the fabric over the batting that way.
I have found that I need to wash the quilt with warm water to get the glue to dissolve. I usually wash in cold water but cold water doesn't dissolve the glue enough. I've never had any problem with it gumming up my machine or breaking needles. The biggest challenge is when I tie off threads and bury them in the bat if I have to go through a glued spot but even that is doable.