Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting? >

Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting?

Best method for using Elmer's glia for basting?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, I just still prefer the safety pin method. I have seen some mistakes quilter's make and I don't want a mess on my hands.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
Has anyone found that this gums up their machine at all? Someone wrote in a little while ago that her serviceman said it was not good for machines.
i haven't had any problems either. If you are patient and have time to let it dry you don't have to iron. I don't iron.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:46 AM

I have been using the elmers glue since my second quilt after I read about it on this board. I still probably use too much, but it is great for holding those layers together and I have not had a problem with my machine. My first quilt I used straight pins for and had so many stabs.......my swear jar got quite full quickly during that quilt!!! LOL
Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 AM

I have been using this method for about 3 years now with tremendous success, I even put a tutorial on here with pictures of how to do it. I have never had any trouble with any of my machines gumming up or causing any trouble. I do water it down a bit and let the sandwiched quilts dry completely before starting my FMQ. Good lulck!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
I have not had any problems with it gumming up my machine. Also you must iron the fabrics together after you put on the glue.
Only if you can not wait for it to dry naturally...
Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 AM

I use the same technique PenniF described ... "I thin my Elmers down - about 3 parts glue to 1 part water using an extra glue container and apply in a thin line to a manageable section of the batting - i then "spread" out the glue gently using an old credit card. I found that applying it to the batting then smoothing the fabric down caused less "stretching" during the process. Next step - i press that section with a warm iron to speed up the drying process. This method has been working very well for me." In addition, I've tried several different applicator bottle tips (not tips as 'hint's, literal tips you screw onto the bottle of glue) - best tips I've found are available from 'purpledaisiesquilting.com' website. Purple Daisies is owned by Sharon Schamber and her daughter, Christy Fancher. I'm not affiliated in any manner - just purchased the tips from them - great product, price and service!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
Has anyone found that this gums up their machine at all? Someone wrote in a little while ago that her serviceman said it was not good for machines.
That serviceman has had no experience with Washable Glue. It can't gum up the needle if it is dry.

The iron is only used to dry it more quickly. If you let one side sit overnight, it will dry just fine.

I start by pinning the center lines of the top, bat and back together. Then I pull the top piece (whichever is on top now), way back to the center pins. I dilute the glue about half and half. Turn the bottle upside down and squeeze out the glue while moving very quickly over the batt, back and forth in about one fourth of that section of the quilt which you can see. I take my fingers and go over those lines of glue to make them thinner. That leaves no big globs. Now I squeeze glue on the second fourth, the other fourth that is next to the center line. When that glue is spread a little with my fingers, I pull the top piece down over the batt, smoothing with my hands. Now tip that top piece back as far as it is already glued and spread glue on the third fourth, and then the last fourth. Pull the top all the way down and smooth.

Now turn the quilt around (or move to the other side. Large tables at church, library, town hall etc. are good for this if you can't do it on the floor.) Fold that side back to the center and continue as before. If you are in a hurry, you can iron these pieces dry. I would iron the first piece from the center to half way to the end the first time, two quarters at a time, and iron the next two quarters after you complete them both. Actually, these are eighths of the entire quilt, as we're working with half of the quilt at a time.

Turn the whole thing over and repeat this process.

When everything is dry, you can free motion on your domestic machine. The whole thing handles like one piece of fabric.

One more thing: Before I start the quilting, I stabilize the outside edges. With a lot of pressure on the glued ends, they can come apart. The last queen size quilt I made, I put the binding on before I started the quilting. Worked great!

Well, this turned out to be a mini tutorial, but I hope it helped someone.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

I glue basted a queen size quilt today. I set up two folding tables, smooth out batting, drizzled glue in a thin line over 1/2 of it. Smooth the quilt backing on 1/2 way. Drizzled the other half an smooth the baking. I then iron the backing to the batting until glue was dry. I turned it over then repeated with the quilt top. Over and done in less then 35 min.
I dilute the glue with a tiny bit of warm water and stream it out of the bottle. I use pressure to smooth so all blobs will be thinned out.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:33 PM

Using liquid glue seems to be a lot of work.....
Old 08-28-2015, 06:30 PM

Greatest thing since sliced bread to me! I also use about 3/4 glue to 1/4 water, I heat my water in the microwave, then it squeezes out really easy, and I just make squiggles all around on the batting, smooth out backing, then flip over and do the same with the top. I usually allow to dry overnight with the ceiling fan on. Never had a problem with gumming up machine, works great, and washes out completely.