Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The best reaction to a gifted quilt. >

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:25 PM

I have a wonderful quilt gift story. Our nephew was deployed in November to Afghanistan. We went to a last minute family drop in for him and I wanted to take him something so I took a small quilt I had. I did not know if he would be able to take it or not but took a chance. He was overjoyed. He told me that he could take a few personal items and that he would definitely take the quilt. I showed him how to roll it small so it would travel well. His Mom cried and she never shows emotion. His dad said he slept under it that night. When I hugged him good-by I told him I would pray for him and hoped the quilt reminded him of home and family. A few days after he had gone his Mom and Dad dropped by to show me some pictures of him napping under his quilt. His Mom was crying as she told me that she could not think of anything to send with him and that I had given him the perfect gift. This is why I do what I do to give love in every stitch.

I love all these sweet stories.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:50 PM

I've given quilts to several family members, including my SIL. He's a very quiet guy and doesn't show much emotion (at least to the rest of the family) and I gave him a modified log cabin flannel quilt a couple years ago for his birthday--he was appreciative but his usual quiet self--but he uses it daily and won't let anyone else (my Daughter, his friends, etc) use it! Always says "your Mom gave it to ME!".
Old 12-13-2016, 05:58 PM
Banned

A few years ago I met my Fathers sister for the first time. I soon learned what a cranky woman she was and hard to get along with. I made her a quilt for Christmas that year and when she opened it she burst into tears. She told me she hadn't been given a Christmas gift in many years and for me to make something so difficult(it really wasn't difficult lol) just for her was precious. She talked about that quilt to any and everyone right up until she passed away last year. This pic was taken just a few days before she died, still using her quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563701[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails 1sharon-4-22-2015.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 05:58 PM

This isn't technically a quilt but when my daughter was in third grade her teacher was expecting. I made her a cute little one yard baby blanket. Ran into her two months ago, her baby is now in elementary school and she again told me how much she loves the blanket that I made, that her daughter still uses it. Best compliment ever, to have it still in use many years later. I made her baby a new, bigger blanket, I hope it will be loved as much.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:07 PM

I made a quilt for sis-in-law's SO last year. He's a huge Cubs fan. He said that quilt was the reason the Cubs won the World Series this year.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:35 PM

Not a quilt, but a set of homemade potholders brought a single mother to tears. She had just bought her own home and I found out she loves to cook and bake. Such a small thing meant everything.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
Mine was from my granddaughter, who was finally home recouperating after a terrifying hospital stay when she contracted Lemierre's Syndrome. DH, DGD, DIL, and I were sitting on the deck and I handed her the gift box. She immediately headed straight for the house. I asked where she was going, and she said "I know this is a quilt, and I can't open it outside. It's like the flag - it can't touch the ground!" Heaven help us, we giggled for 10 minutes about that, but it warmed my heart knowing how much SHE appreciated it. Thirty-minutes later, this is what we found:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563696[/ATTACH]
Oh, my, word! "Like the flag...can't touch the ground!" I'm cracking up! Sweet picture. I'd never heard of that syndrome.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Oh, my, word! "Like the flag...can't touch the ground!" I'm cracking up! Sweet picture. I'd never heard of that syndrome.
Zozee, Lemierre's Syndrome mainly strikes kids ages 4-24, and is quite rare. The virus resides in every person, however only raises it's ugly head to a select few children. It starts with flu-like symptoms, then a clot develops in the jugular vein. It can break off and move to the brain or lungs. Hers traveled to her lungs, resulting in two collapsed lungs. She was in ICU for 5 days, and it was touch or go for a while. If your child complains of neck pain when you think they have the flu, take them DIRECTLY to the ER. It must be treated quickly. Most doctors have never even heard of it. We were bless that she was at an advanced children's hospital that thought "outside the box" when trying to figure out what was going on with her! She was the first case of it ever seen in that hospital.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:34 AM

I'm loving reading these wonderful stories! So much love shared through quilts. Wonderful!
Old 12-14-2016, 03:34 AM

A few years ago I took a throw sized quilt top to my longarmer. She gushed over it so much that I just gave it to her! She is on a tight budget and never has time to piece something for herself. It was an attic window with snowmen in each window, i loved it but I could tell that she really loved it! And I am ok with that!

Sandy