Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The best reaction to a gifted quilt. >

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:57 PM

Peaster,
Where in MN do you live? I live in northern WI now but lived in MN most of my life.
After reading the stories here I really have to get back to some serious quilting.
Deb G
Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 AM

I have so many stories, but a couple stick out in my mind today:

when my oldest nephew got old enough to have a pillow he wanted me to make him one (small homemade pillows are my go to for kids birthday parties.) I made a nice big one and mailed it to him. A year later my SIL called and said, "he won't let us wash it or put a pillowcase on it, he loves it so much but it smells!" LOL, I made him two more and two pillowcases to go with and sent those. He wore those out too! He wore the blanket I made him to shreds so I made him a serger quilt and he sleeps with it every night. This auntie gig is amazing <3

when my daughter was in elementary school her teacher had a baby girl, I made a baby blanket and sent it. She told me after she got back from leave that it was one of their favorite gifts and they used it all the time! I was so surprised and honored. Last year we ran into them at the store and the first thing she said was "we LOVE that baby blanket, Anna still uses it, thank you so much again!" Well Anna was 7 and very tall and grown up so I called later and asked "would it be okay if I made Anna a bigger blanket?" She was so surprised but said yes and Anna told me what she would like, I made a nice big girl blanket with some room to grow and a week later got the hug of a lifetime on pickup from both and the sweetest child written thank you note I've ever had.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:33 AM

Only because we had no reason to, my ex and I hadn't spoken for at least 15 years. Still, it was an arrow thru my heart when I heard he had cancer and was taking chemotherapy. I sent him a quilt and my son said he took it to every treatment. A year later we met at my son's wedding and I asked him if I could give him a hug. He and other family members were talking out on the patio and I heard, "I knew she didn't hate me cause she sent me a quilt". My old friend, Walter Swan, always said, 'Be Kind".
Old 01-21-2018, 08:11 AM

Last summer one of my granddaughters graduated from high school. She said she wanted a t-shirt quilt made from her school shirts. I had never made one, but gave it a shot, and it turned out very well. When my GD opened it at her graduation party, she said "it's exactly what I wanted' and burst into tears. There were a few others who shed tears as well. This was the best thank-you I have gotten.