Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Binding -- How can I keep the binding seams from ending up at a corner?

Blog Entries
    I usually use diagonal seams and piece the binding somewhat longer than needed. Then, I just begin putting it on the front, creating mitered corners as I go. If I get to a corner and have a binding seam, there's really nothing to do, is there?

What could I do differently?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like Murphy's Law to me - that happens to me all the time! When you figure out how to not have this happen, you'll make a lot of other ladies very happy! :lol:

Lay the quilt out and lay the binding along the edges. If a seam is close to a corner move it one way or the other until there aren't any seams on any corner. Then put a big straight pin in the spot where you want to start.

Blog Entries
    Why not do a test run? Run your binding around your quilt without sewing and you can get a general idea where the seams will fall and make adjustments on where to start attaching your binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Lay the quilt out and lay the binding along the edges. If a seam is close to a corner move it one way or the other until there aren't any seams on any corner. Then put a big straight pin in the spot where you want to start.

I use this method as well!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    simply measure your intersections on the binding then measure your quit and try to start within that paremeter!

I do a test run also. Put a pin where you want to start then go round the quilt.
    Adjust if needed. Yes, you have to roll that binding again but it's worth it. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Why not do a test run? Run your binding around your quilt without sewing and you can get a general idea where the seams will fall and make adjustments on where to start attaching your binding.
    That's what I do, works great to think ahead.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    simply measure your intersections on the binding then measure your quit and try to start within that paremeter!
    This is what I was looking for -- a way to reason it out, rather than lay the binding all the way around the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I do this too. That way I can see if there will be a problem and be ready to adjust the binding before I get there. I still check a few feet away from each corner just in case I made an error. It is like measuring twice. Less errors this way.

ali

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast