Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding - probably a stupid question >

Binding - probably a stupid question

Binding - probably a stupid question

Old 09-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Binding - probably a stupid question

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I have never had a class so I don't know. So I have my quilt pieced. I have the backing, binding and quilt top all quilted together. So I am ready to bind. My question is.... do I cut the binding flush with the backing and top? All three layers the same? Or should the binding and backing be little bigger? Like 1/8" so when I put the binding on the batting fills out the binding? What do you guys do?
Old 09-21-2013, 11:27 AM

I think you're using the same word for two different things. I think in several places you mean border.

I trim my quilt so all three layers are the same. Some people leave a little bit of batting beyond the border. It really depends on how you do your binding. There is no one right way.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Once my quilt sandwich is all quilted, I run a row of stitching all around the layers about 1/8 inside the edge. I square up the quilt and sometimes this cuts a bit of the edge stay stitching off but that doesn't matter. Once the quilt is squared, I line up the double fold binding raw edges with the raw edges of the quilt. I sew all around the quilt with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. This gives me all the padding I need in the binding when I flip the binding to the back and hand stitch it to the back.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 AM

I am also a little confused about the terms you are using but this is what I do:

1. Quilt together the top (the part I cut up all that fabric and sewed it back together in a nice pattern), the batting (the puffy stuff) and the backing (whatever I choose to be the reverse side of my quilt when finished.

2. I use my rulers and rotary cutter to cut the entire quilt along the edges, being careful to cut the corners square, the sides the same length, and the top and bottom the same length.

3. I use bias binding, self made..... 2 1/4" wide, sewn length to length, and folded and pressed so that it is now 1 1/8" wide and ...l.o.n.g....

4. I use a walking foot and stitch the raw edges of my binding to the cut edge of the quilt, folding at the corners and sewing the two ends together so it makes one continuous length all around the quilt. (There are tutorials about the exact instructions about stitching the binding on.... My explanation is very vague, I know.)

5. I fold the binding around the cut edge and hand stitch the folded edge to the back..... DONE!

We are all anxious to see your finished job. .... hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:22 PM

nanna, spoken like a true home ec teacher. I cut mine 2 1/2 inches.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:27 PM

Ditto what Nanna said.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:33 PM

Follow Nana's instructions. I use 2" for cotton batting, and 2.5" for the thicker poly batting.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
Follow Nana's instructions. I use 2" for cotton batting, and 2.5" for the thicker poly batting.
And I sew my binding to the back side and fold over to the front and top stitch with machine. Because I don't have time to hand sew a lot. So there are many ways to do it.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:07 PM

I think you are asking whether we leave the batting hanging out past the cut edge of the squared up quilt top and back. I don't, because I've never figured out how to do that when squaring up the quilted quilt. I just line up my biggest square ruler and use the rotary cutter to cut and square up the quilt. Then I stay stitch all around the squared up quilt again. (I always stay stitch around my quilt top once it is finished and before quilting.)
Old 09-21-2013, 01:24 PM

I'm another in agreement with Nana's instructions. Here is a pretty good tute with illustrations, to check out . http://www.heatherbaileydesign.com/HB_QuiltBinding.pdf