Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 115

Thread: Bobbin confession

  1. #11
    Senior Member Christine27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North Central Illinois
    Posts
    382
    Habits die hard. I grew up wrapping the thread so that's what I still do. No shame about it since it just works better for me.

  2. #12
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grundy Co Illinois
    Posts
    5,043
    I thread the hole, hold on to the thread until it has several winds, and snip the tail close to the surface. I think this comes from taking Home Ec classes with a teacher (sew police) standing over you.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

    Sue

  3. #13
    Senior Member pjaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    816
    Blog Entries
    7
    I'm sure that's why I do it too. Must have learned it from Moma, she made all my clothes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine27 View Post
    Habits die hard. I grew up wrapping the thread so that's what I still do. No shame about it since it just works better for me.
    P.Jaco
    OKC, OK
    "Trust your experience"

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    703
    Nope, I don't share your shame. I thread the thread through the tiny hole and then hold the end until it has wound some, stop the machine, cut the thread close to the bobbin and then let 'er rip!!!! Why not do it right - it's not as if you can walk away and do something else while the thing is winding - you still have to sit there and wait :-)

  5. #15
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,090
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I thread the hole, hold on to the thread until it has several winds, and snip the tail close to the surface. I think this comes from taking Home Ec classes with a teacher (sew police) standing over you.
    Necessity gets my praise--------------never had a home ec class in my life and Mom's sewing machine was the old "bullet" style bobbin. Simply speaking, I have to hold on to the thread thru the hole or I have a mess.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  6. #16
    Super Member catmcclure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bay Area near San Francisco
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
    I used to pull the thread thru the little hole but not anymore. One time I did not get that leader thread cut close to the bobbin and it became tangled in the bobbin case. Since having to clean up that mess, I now wrap it around the bobbin and then wind. So, yes I share your shame.
    I always put it through the hole too; but I use my scissors to cut the thread back to the bobbin - while the bobbin is filling, I just hold the thread up and take the tip of my scissors and lay it on top of the bobbin while it's turning. Cuts perfectly. Just an ingrained habit now.

  7. #17
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,090
    Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    I always put it through the hole too; but I use my scissors to cut the thread back to the bobbin - while the bobbin is filling, I just hold the thread up and take the tip of my scissors and lay it on top of the bobbin while it's turning. Cuts perfectly. Just an ingrained habit now.

    That's how I clip the thread, too. And I've never had a taggy cause any trouble----------it's too short.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  8. #18
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,710
    My Pfaff bobbins don't have a hole. You just wrap them several times. The Janome bobbins have a hole and if you don't put the thread thru the hole they won't wind because of how fast it winds. Do what works best with the bobbins on your machine and don't worry about it.

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    239
    My Viking bobbins don't have a hole either! Don't carry shame for the way you wind a bobbin!!!! As long as it works........

  10. #20
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,671
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by majormom View Post
    Why not do it right - it's not as if you can walk away and do something else while the thing is winding - you still have to sit there and wait :-)
    I have never seen a machine tech or repairman put thread through the hole on any bobbin to wind. Never seen a machine dealer do it either.
    Got fabric?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.